 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / * (-5)
Subject:
TexLUG at Maker Faire Austin 2008
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.space, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.loc.us.tx.aus
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:40:18 GMT

TexLUG was invited to participate at Maker Faire 2008 in Austin, Texas this past weekend. We’re not the first LUG to display at Maker Faire, but this was our first time, and we walked away with not one but two “Editor’s Choice” awards for our display/booth.

We were given a huge area to work with, which we filled with two displays - a Space/Moonbase and a Town/Train (with tall ships). We also had two areas for kids to come and build, one filled with Duplo, the other with regular System.

My pictures can be found here:

Gallery

We had a lot of fun and we hope that we’ll be invited back next year.

--Tony

Re: Stonehenge and Chichen Itza
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:31:10 GMT

What are these spare parts you speak of? Aren’t all parts of equal value?

Subject:
TexLUG at 3rd Annual HBCE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:09:26 GMT

Flickr Gallery

For a third year, TexLUG was invited to display at the Healthy Baby and Child Expo in San Antonio on March 8th and 9th, 2008. While only two TexLUG members were able to attend, the layout was nevertheless a success. The theme this year was “Around the World in 80 days”, featuring well known landmarks and monuments from around the globe, along with a few LEGO sets and MOCs.

--Tony

Re: Stonehenge and Chichen Itza
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 04:04:19 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Anthony Sava wrote:
   These were built for the upcoming March 2008 “Around the World in 80 Days” themed TexLUG display. I think I did a pretty decent job, considering I’m working with inventory scraps and leftovers.

Stonehenge

Flickr
Brickshelf
I was originally going to build it “as it was,” complete and whole, but my wife convinced me to build it “as it is,” something I have not yet seen in LEGO bricks.

I think your wife gave you some great advice, the “as is” version is nicely done. I really enjoyed it. Great work Tony.

Janey “Red Brick”

Subject:
Stonehenge and Chichen Itza
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 06:22:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

These were built for the upcoming March 2008 “Around the World in 80 Days” themed TexLUG display. I think I did a pretty decent job, considering I’m working with inventory scraps and leftovers.

Stonehenge

Flickr
Brickshelf
I was originally going to build it “as it was,” complete and whole, but my wife convinced me to build it “as it is,” something I have not yet seen in LEGO bricks.

The Temple of Kukulkan at Chichen Itza or “El Castillo”

Flickr
Brickshelf
I purposely built it wrong so that it ‘looked right’ (the real pyramid has 9 steps, not 6). The pyramid’s steps are also a bit too steep, but this was built from spare parts, so I didn’t have a lot of plates to donate to this project. Like the real pyramid, one can create the feathered serpent climbing the steps at the two equinoxes:

--Tony

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact