Subject:
BrickHeap Wars Space Elevator Challenge Results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 07:08:51 GMT

On Saturday we had one of the best, and one of the funnest BrickHeap Wars
there's ever been! Besides two SMART teams, seven other teams from around the
Seattle area came and participated. There was a team from the Seattle Robotics
Society, as well as 6 FLL teams.

The challenge? To deliver five payloads to geosyncronous orbit via the space
elevator, Mindstorms style. The space elevator was a 7-foot long, 2-inch-wide
nylon ribbon, the satellite a brass ring. The payloads, golf balls.

Pre-event rules were posted here:
http://www.kenworthyfamily.net/lego/brickheap_wars.htm

The results:
points colour  team
------ -----   ------
1700   Green   (SMART)
1350   Yellow  (SMART)
1200   Blue    (SRS)
1150   Dk Grey (Titans FLL)
750    Black   (FLL team)
450    Lt Grey (Redmond Microtech FLL)
450    Red     (Peninsula Power Robotics FLL)
0      Blue Grey (FLL team)
0      Orange (West Seattle Robotics Club FLL)

Pictures of the event: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=184682

Videos of the event: If you only want to download one or two, I recommend the
***d ones (CIMG1209_divx and CIMG1236_divx) -- these show the actual competition
runs between five teams. Warning, they ARE big files to download. You'll also
need the DIVX codec to see some of these videos.

0:06 1.6Mb SRS (blue team) climbing
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1191.AVI

0:27 6.9Mb SRS (blue team) approaching top of ribbon
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1192.AVI

0:05 1.5Mb Titans FLL (Dark Grey team) climbing
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1211.AVI

0:11 2.9Mb Redmond Microtech FLL (Light Grey team) climbing
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1199.AVI

0:22 5.6Mb SMART (Green team) not reaching top
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1202.AVI

0:12 3.1Mb SMART (Green team) still not reaching top
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1203.AVI

1:31 8.4Mb first group of 5 teams attaching to ribbon
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1208_divx.avi

10:12 55.5Mb first group of 5 teams running on ribbon ***
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1209_divx.avi

0:08 2.3Mb second group of teams attaching to ribbon
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1226.AVI

5:51 31.9Mb second group of teams running ribbon
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1227_divx.avi

7:23 40.3Mb second group of teams (part 2)
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1230_divx.avi

1:55 10.4Mb first group attaching (second run)
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1235_divx.avi

10:17 56.0Mb first group on their second run ***
http://zx81.isl.uiuc.edu/lego/BrickHeapWars/2006/SpaceElevator/CIMG1236_divx.avi
Note: in this last video you'll see the green team actually manage to do two
entire runs of the event in the time given! Way to go, Gus and his green team!

A very special thanks to Mark Kenworthy for all the work putting this challenge,
and especially ten colour-coordinated kits together!

--
  David Schilling