Re: Robothon 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:14:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.smart, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
I'm looking forward to the video.

Me too! ;-)

From what I can see, the whole layout is on a white 4x8 board, right?  Two
stationary "Ball Lifting" robots, and two moble "transport" robots.

Actually we used one of the 3x7 melamine boards from Home Depot. These are
easier to transport in a car, they have a pretty good surface for line tracking,
and they are quite inexpensive. Using only one, however, was very crowded for
the mobile robots. But we managed to squeeze them in ... including a wonderful
"first" for us: the dump truck did a three point turn using line tracking.

One question.  Does this robot:

...detect the "dump truck" by watching for the truck's white roof plate with a
light sensor?

That's right! When the dump truck arrives, the lifting mechanism stops, the
hopper doors open, dumping the balls, and then the doors close again. Finally
the lifting mechanism starts again. The reason it stops is to prevent balls from
jamming the hopper doors when they are closing. You *know* it's going to happen
more often than not!

That's a nice layout.

Steve

Thanks!