Subject:
Brikwars Playtest Photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:21:51 GMT

As promised, here are some captions describing the scenes in the photos
from the Brikwars Playtesting session between myself and Mr. Eric "I
swat you like a fly" Joslin.  The day was somewhat overcast, so I
resorted to using a flash, alas ... most of the colors are somewhat
washed out, but I think everybody can get the idea.  Now, for the show
:)

Referring to the photos found at

"aka_cannon_fodder" - this is the main bulk of Eric's infantry.  Notice
the Sean Connery figure to the left in traditional "The Rock" garb.

"bathroom break" - after a frightening salvo from the chain gun on
Eric's 'mech, the pilot of Shaun's 'mech experiences an uncontrollable
urge to abandon ship and relieve himself, returning only after paying a
visit to a bush, tree, or similar facility (yes, this really is a
situation encountered on the Vehicle Damage "Kerplow" Table).
Unfortunately, time constraints dictated that the game end prior to the
pilot being able to return to his vehicle.

"carnage" - Eric's troops demonstrate one of the primary shortcomings of
close formation, as a single strafing pass from a flying soldier in
SAMAS power armor wreaked havoc with his forces.  Note that Sean Connery
is still standing tall (well, relatively) in the shadow of the 'mech.

"Eric's Troops" - posing for a rare pre-battle group photo, the arrayed
forces of Eric's army can be seen.  Sadly, the details of his 'mech are
obscured by the shadowy background.

"Jeep" - Shaun's pride and joy, a 1948 Willy's MB Jeep is ready for
combat.  Based on the .dat file of Frederick Glockner (which can still
be found in lugnet.cad.dat.models), it features four wheels drive, a
mounted browning machine gun, and non-standard windshield wipers.  Oh
yeah, there are also a bunch of tough chaps in the foreground as well.

"Mayday" - One of Shaun's ARCUS Flying Power Armor Suits falls victim to
the anti-aircraft firepower of one of Eric's flying suits.  Having
spiralled into a tailspin and crashed noisily to the earth, the pilot's
head has become messily separated from the pilot's body (play taps
here).

"Mini-'Mechs" - a pre-battle line-up of some of Shaun's forces.  The
vehicles pictured, from Left to Right, are an ARCUS Flying Power Armor
Suit, the 1948 Willy's MB, a Badger 'Mech, and a Darth-Maulish Troop
outfitted in SAMAS Power Armor (difficult to make out -Muhahahahahaaaa).

"Please proceed to the first window" - In a rare display of civilian
necessity, two of Eric's vehicles stop by MacDonalds prior to the battle
and order some fast food to go.  The pilot of the 'Mech, displeased with
the taste of his burger, eventually razed the building with his chain
gun shortly after this picture was taken.

"Shaun's Troops" - another pic of Shaun's fielded army.  The SAMAS power
armor is more clearly depicted, but its details are still delightfully
clouded in obscurity.

"Sitting Duck" - Eric's medic attends to the fallen troops whose demise
was described in "Carnage".  Having used his trusty medic-cycle to reach
the bodies within a turn, the medic was able to revive (read: ressurect)
two of the troops.  Strategic shortcoming on Eric's part, and a complete
moral and ethical vacuum on Shaun's part, made this event a Pyrrhic
victory: shortly after this photo was taken, the SAMAS power armor
banked around for another strafing pass, ending the brief but glorious
career of the medic and his two revived patients.

"Willy MB" - The jeep again, this time with a WWII crew and a towed
howitzer.

Well, that's all for now :)

shaun

Re: Brikwars Playtest Photos
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:

"Sitting Duck" - Eric's medic attends to the fallen troops whose demise
was described in "Carnage".  Having used his trusty medic-cycle to reach
the bodies within a turn, the medic was able to revive (read: ressurect)
two of the troops.  Strategic shortcoming on Eric's part, and a complete
moral and ethical vacuum on Shaun's part, made this event a Pyrrhic
victory: shortly after this photo was taken, the SAMAS power armor
banked around for another strafing pass, ending the brief but glorious
career of the medic and his two revived patients.

And just let me say, we are still planning on mentioning that action to the UN,
you black-hearted villian.

Ooooh!  <shakes fist angrily>

eric

Re: Brikwars Playtest Photos
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Shaun Sullivan writes:
As promised, here are some captions describing the scenes in the photos
from the Brikwars Playtesting session between myself and Mr. Eric "I
swat you like a fly" Joslin.  The day was somewhat overcast, so I

Dig that!  In the five years I've been working on BrikWars I never figured
anyobdy else would have the gall to try and actually play the damn thing.  You
guys are my heroes.

Referring to the photos found at

These pictures are killer!  If you ever make a site for them (or for your
upcoming BrikWars bash) you've got to let me know, I'll put a link up on the
BrikWars page.

Mike Rayhawk

Re: Brikwars Playtest Photos
Wow, thanks Mike!  This is high praise indeed, coming from the grand prophet of it
all!  You'll be pleased to know that playing went off without a hitch!  Calm heads
and continuous referencing of certain rules tomes prevailed to make a great
experience ...

and there will definintely be lots of pictures forthcoming!  The big event ( a
scant 11 days away, folks!) will be documented and photographed from every
conceivable angle, and with better attention payed to flash photography fine
points ;).  Stay tuned!

thanks for the comments!
shaun

Mike Rayhawk wrote:

[...]

...Well, he did file a report with Jain's Guide :-)
http://wildlink.com/lego/jain (I cant wait for the follow ups :-)

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wildlink.com
lugnet #160