Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:48:18 GMT

"Wayne McCaul" <wmccaul@NOSPAMattbi.com> wrote in message
news:HD584w.16sn@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
Yes, but it also applies if your team created two different kinds of
enchanted dk.gray swords, the Sword of Van-Damage and the Sword of the
Flaming Hemorrhoids.  And to be fair, I guess that means that once one is
used, it gets taken off the list, although I could easily go with the • idea
that *any* time a dk.gary sword is found (using this example), you always
have a chance of getting any of the options.  So if there are 3 dk.gray
swords out there, there's three different enchantments that are possible,
but the reality is they could all be Swords of the Flaming Hemorrhoids. • I'd
be happy either way.

I like the idea that all effect are still possible. Adds sort of a
Schrodinger's-cat effect to the trooper who picks up an item. The only • thing
is, doesn't that mess up the point spread? You can't construct items if
you're assigning random effects to them, can you?

Might it be better to come up with an Effects Chart with Small, Medium, • and
Large Effects, so you open the chest, it's got a dk.grey sword and you • roll
on the Med for it's effect, good, bad or ugly?

Or am I just not seeing this right?

-W

I think you're not seeing it right.  Basically, each team comes up with 10
magical items.  The actual items can be just about anything, swords,
goblets, coins, anything.  Each team can decide what kind of effect it will
produce, such as increased speed by 4", halving your armor value or perhaps
some sort of energy ball spell that can affect an area.  The teams do this
independently of one another and bring to the game their list of
items/enchantments.  Come game day, we see what items people have chosen to
enchant.  Any items that are the same, will have the Team Name listed as a
placeholder on the Ker-Magic-Don't-Let-Me-Down table for that item and
assigned a number(s) based on how many there are and what the appropriate
die to use is (if there are 3 enchanments associated with a chrome sword, a
1d6 will be used and each enchantment will get two numbers, if there are 10
enchantments, then each gets a single number and a 1d10 will be used).  All
items are then placed in some sort of container and will be randomly
scattered throughout the land.  When a player decides to pick up an item,
the appropriate roll will be made to determine which Team/enchantment it is.
At this point, the enchantment is revealed to everyone and that unit, good
,bad, or indifferent is now stuck with it.

Does that clear things up?