Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:23:09 GMT

"David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> wrote in message
news:HD54G3.t0F@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
Okay, so they're independent of your team's SP...BUT we must have a limit • on
these things, since we don't want people getting too carried away.  So
because of this, let's set an actual number of items per team at 10.

Works for me-- I had been thinking we could just have a CP pool for magic
items, but this works just as effecitvely. Each team makes 5 to 10 magic
items, none of which can exceed 20 CP? Sounds ok to me... Maybe we can • play
around with magic items and see if that 20 CP's needs adjusting up or down
or whatnot, but sounds ok to me for now.

Further, let's also say that each team has free reign as to what objects
they decide to enchant.  However, once an item is picked up, if two or • more
teams have an enchantment on the same item (like a sword) and/or a team • has
multiple types of enchantments on the same item, then a roll is made on • the
Ker-Magic-Item-Don't-Let-Me-Down table to see which enchantment it • actually
is.  Sound fair?

Not quite sure I follow you-- I think you're saying:

- I bring a dk.gray sword with a spell to increase power rating by 1
- Wayne brings a dk.gray sword with a spell to increase stupidity by 2
- Joe's chamberpot-man picks up a dk.gray sword, and we have no way of • knowing
  which sword it is; mine or Wayne's.
- We roll to figure out whose item it is.

That right? That sounds ok to me... (I assume items will be put into • chests
or whatnot so we can't see what we're getting until we open or touch said
chests)

Yes, but it also applies if your team created two different kinds of
enchanted dk.gray swords, the Sword of Van-Damage and the Sword of the
Flaming Hemorrhoids.  And to be fair, I guess that means that once one is
used, it gets taken off the list, although I could easily go with the idea
that *any* time a dk.gary sword is found (using this example), you always
have a chance of getting any of the options.  So if there are 3 dk.gray
swords out there, there's three different enchantments that are possible,
but the reality is they could all be Swords of the Flaming Hemorrhoids.  I'd
be happy either way.

My thought here is that certain items may do some simple things like give
the wearer an additional 4" of movement and might only cost about 6 CP
between the item itself and the magic ability.  However, for items that
grant SP powers, we don't want them to be too powerful.

SP powers should't be too bad that way; since you've got to spend 3 CP's • per
SP, plus an indexed ability (assuming it's a thing that casts something), • so
that's a max of... 5 SP's per item? Hm. Depending on indexed ability, that
IS a bit strong for J.Random item. AND, if we score it according to, say,
creature rules (like 1 CP per 1" hover flight), then it's *still* kinda
powerful (sword with 18" hover flight? Too powerful). Hmmmm. Maybe reduce
the max to 10 or 15 CP's per magic item? Base items (especially items like
books/jewelry/boots/etc) don't seem to cost much, leaving apparently lots • of
space for increased pointage.

Although, here's a perfect opportunity for me to pitch my CP pool for • magic
items idea. If we said you've got to have 10 items, and can't use more • than
100 CP's total for them (max 20 CP per item), then you can't go splurging
and making lots of 20 CP items... Perhaps something like:

CP pool for magic items = 10 * Number of items (max 10)

A pool seems fine to me...let's go with your formula above with a max of 20
CP for any one item for now.  I'll try and come up with a few things and see
if 20 CP is too high...I suspect it is, even with only 80 CP for 9 other
items.

- Joe