Subject:
NELUG TL6 Space Module Game II, August 12 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 01:56:26 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

(All images are deep-linked for instant viewing …)
(WARNING: This is a looonnnnggg post!)

On Sunday, August 11, 2002, NELUG members participated in the second half of a
two-part space-module Brikwars game.  Set in the bowels of an abandoned
government research vessel, Coalition troops and the Faction forces again found
themselves squaring off against each other in a mortal struggle for stellar
dominance.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/01overall.jpg

The Faction troops were commanded by Admirals Dave Eaton and Joe Comeau, along
with the assistance of Brigadier-General Lindsay Braun.  The Coalition troops
were fielded by General Jonathan Dallas, Colonel Tom Duggan, and Private First
Class with full Bathroom Privelages Shaun Sullivan.

Many of the modules used in the ship layout were originally seen in the
Brikwars game of June 15th:

http://news.lugnet.com/fun/gaming/?n=1135
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=19366.

However, a number of new modules made their debut here, including a new
hydroponics lab, an adjoining organ trans-plant room (ugh), the ship's bridge,
a holodeck, a saloon, a faked moon landing room, and a Pre-Keg nutrient bath
room.  More on these later ..

Initial successes were attributed to the Faction groups.  Able to reach the
central teleporter squad first, and in larger numbers, the Faction quickly
established a strong defense.  Probing attacks into the teleporter room were
violently and effectively rebuffed, particularly as the Faction had developed a
small, yet highly powerful, mobile tank unit:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/lindsay04.jpg

Adopting less conventional tactics, the Coalition troops started resorting to
guerilla warfare.  By entering the ducts and Jeffries tubes, a number of
Coalition soldiers were able to wend there way through the base relatively free
from attack.  I say relatively, because there still were a few gory instances
of duct-and-trooper eradication.

The Coalition began to stage a comeback at this point.  Having already suffered
serious casualties, their hit-and-duck tactics started to take their toll on
the faction.  And no, we never technically dropped our weapons and ran away …
at best, there were a few instances of "advancing to the rear after
streamlining", and "regrouping afresh".  In one turn, a conglomeration of
several Coalition troopers and their commanders staged a complicated starburst
maneuver whereby they drew opportunity fire to the greatest extent possible
(sacrificing two peons in the process), in order to bring several large weapons
to bear on strong Faction troops.  The resulting cacophony of heavy gunfire
resulted in the valiant deaths of Joe's hero, a Death-Gun wielding trooper of
Lindsay's, two "lesser" troopers, and a Coalition Scout who was in a nearby
duct and unlucky enough to be caught in the blast.  This marked the largest
offensive that the Coalition had mounted by game's end.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/12heroesdeath
.jpg

Sadly, retribution was swift and forceful.  Lindsay's tank and Dave's Hero
staged a smaller version of the now-infamous starburst attack, drawing
opportunity fire in order to get into position.  While Dave's Hero did meet an
untimely end, Lindsay's tank was easily capable of mopping up a whole squad of
Coalition troopers caught clustered in the open.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/13squadsdemis
e.jpg

By the game's end (about 6 hours into play), there was no definitive victor.
Advantage would definitely have to go to the Faction troops, as they had
control of the teleporter room, and several troops traipsing through the
holodeck in order to find the map that led to the Alien Queen's nest.  Oh yeah,
that was the point - to find the map, and capture the Alien Queen.  The map,
however, was hidden in the holodeck.  Although it innocuously appeared to be
another 16x16 module, troopers entering it had to negotiate a MASSIVE 60x120
labyrinth (I'm approximating the size here …), laced with booby traps and
creatures.  Everytime a trooper in the labyrinth was killed, it had to restart
the simulation from the begin of the labyrinth.  As mentioned above, the
Faction had several troops working their way through the holodeck towards the
map, and control of the teleporter room which may have facilitated their
getting to the Queen's nest shortly after they had located it.  However, the
Coalition troops had managed to eliminate two heroes, and at least one other
Faction specialty trooper was out of commission getting wasted in the bar.  The
Coalition, on the other hand, still had a number of strong troops, though their
ranks had been severely thinned.  The Faction had, though, managed to obtain
the Pith Helmet of Manly Overcompensation, which provided the wearer with
invisibility every other turn.  All in all, as I mentioned, the advantage lay
with the Faction at game's end, though the final outcome of the battle could
not be predicted.

In addition to mighty blows from the Hammer of Discipline, a more severe
punishment had to meted out on several occasions; specifically, the Bludgeon of
Peer Ridicule was brought to bear more than once.  Instances of its usage
included:

(1) Joe's persistent attempt to use the teleporter as a means of risk-free
death-to-all-victims.  His argument to allow troopers to teleport live grenades
into the skulls of opposing troops, and fired bullets into the foreheads of his
enemies, were met with derision and scorn.

(2) Perhaps the fiercest ridicule was suffered by Dave, who faced the contempt
of even his own teammates when it was discovered that he was considering
painted Blacktron I torsos as representing armor.  The narrator feels it not
even worth the finger effort of typing to point out that Blacktron I outfits
look NOTHING like armor, but rather like a respirator of sorts.  This of course
prompted much hard-hitting caustic sarcasm, pointing out, for instance, that
troops would be able to move with full stealth if only they had painted
bunny-slipper leg pieces.  Additionally, the Coalition troops are looking into
the possibility of corporate sponsorship; they are currently negotiating to all
wear Octan outfits in exchange for gratuitous CP donations.

(3) Never one to exclude himself from the beatings, Shaun was the happy
recipient of several attacks.  His temporary insistence that his modified
impact rifles fired 1d10 explosive shells, with automatic fire capability, was
met with extensive derision and will-crushing force.  He suffered the
humiliation in a manly fashion though, and killed his victims anyway.

A number of other interesting units made their debut in the game as well.
These included:

(1) Genetically Modified Mutant Wolf-Man Half-Breeds.  Using the alternate
species rules, these troopers had keen senses (providing bonuses for hitting,
skill, and reflexes), and a shiny healthy coat to boot.  Sadly, toting around a
big-ole gun, he only made a showing in one spectacular firefight.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/11coalitionco
meback.jpg

(2) The Pre-Kegs.  Based on the Pre-Cogs from the movie "Minority Report", this
water-bound trio nestled in their little nutrient slurry and changed the
dynamics of the ship in their proximity.  Imbued with natural ISP, they had the
capacity to influence thought of troopers near them.  Specifically, each had 14
ISP points, which they would spend each turn on Range (typically spending 2-4
points), Pass Object (1), 1d6 duration (1), with the remainder being used as
the influence rating that the intended victim needed to roll against.  Those
who succumbed to their suggestions would immediately head for the saloon to
imbibe in adult beverages.  With every turn that they drank, their resistance
to the next one is diminished, as are their capacities.  Enough booze and they
had to roll on the Ker-Stagger table if they wanted to leave.  With only 3
Pre-Kegs, and finite durations, it was hoped that there would eventually be a
mass of people coming and going and staying and drinking and staggering out the
door (Pre-Kegs had rules regulating their behavior - first they'd try and
influence someone who was threatening them, then a patron that was trying to
leave the bar, then the next closest non-influenced individual).  This never
actually materialized; instead, one of Dave's troops remained in the bar the
whole time,

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/41saloon.jpg

plastered off his gourd; one of Jonathan's troops was influenced, but
slaughtered on the way up the stairs by a non-influenced hero of Dave's
(influenced individuals became pacifistic); and at the end of the game, an
influenced monkey was heading into the saloon.

Get it?  Pre-Kegs, instead of Pre-Cogs?  "They know you're thirsty, even before
you do."  "The system can't be wrong."  "Find the Margarita Report."  C'mon, at
least chuckle at the clever joke, you uncultered sots.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/59pre-kegs.jp

(3) Kamizaze Bombs - is there any greater addition to the game for higher
Tek-Levels?  The scourge of Ninjas, the never-miss missle … it brings a tear of
pride to my eye * sniff*

(4) Special awards were provided for the various contestants:

UNEXPECTED SURVIVAL AWARD - goes to Jonathan, for his best Brikwars showing
yet.  Unlike his previous games, flames and fire had not completely incinerated
all of his troops by the end of the game.  His survival heralded the dawning of
a new age, in which even the most flammable of troops need not fear close
quarters and open flames.  Sadly, Jonathan did bear the brunt of our frontal
assault on the Faction's heavily defended teleporter room, but in spite of that
the end of the game saw him with several troops, attacking from the ducts above
like a swarm of rabid duct mice.

NEW GNARLY MODULES AWARD - This also goes to Jonathan.  Somehow, between last
game and this one, he managed to produce the Holodeck, the Labyrinth, the
Bridge, a Hydroponics Lab, an Organ Transplant Lab (perhaps the worst pun of
the game), warp drive room, and of course the Moon Landing Fakery Movie Stage.
We all went expecting to be familiar with nearly all of the modules, but it
turned out that there were tons of new ones!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/49holodeck.jp
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/63labyrinth.j
pg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/26bridge.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/24hydronponic
s.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/47organtransp
lants.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/52warpdrive.j
pg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sullis3/BRIKWARSGAMES/TL6081102/37lunarlandin
g.jpg

MOST IMPROVED AWARD - goes to Tom, for his exponential learning curve.  In his
previous game, Tom had fielded a number of short-bow wielding archers in a tall
tree - so tall, in fact, that in the pervious version of the game his arrows
technically couldn't even have reached the ground below him.  Tom had also
placed a whole contingent of strong troops in such a way that it took them the
whole game to get 1/2 to the conflict.  This game, Tom was a proverbial rock of
constancy, conspiring to use his troops to the utmost, and participating in the
slaughter of those dastardly Faction troops with glee.

MOST EFFECTIVE MERCENARY - goes to Lindsay.  As Dave and Joe clearly foresaw
their destruction at our hands, they sent for reinforcements from the savage
borough of New Jersey.  Although Lindsay also brought his 12' Japanese Cruiser,
as it didn't fit through the ship's corridors he couldn't field it.  However,
for all his claims of being "relatively new" to Brikwars, and all of his troops
having "chronic night-frights", and even at one point claiming that his troops
should be immune to attack as they are positive contributors to their
communities, he was a strong contender, and at the end of the game still
controlled the most powerful unit still in play.

MOST IMMUNE TO VERBAL ABUSE - goes to Dave, who really took a verbal beating
and teasing for the whole painted torso thing.  That being said, he never
stopped laughing at our discomfiture at his armored troops kicking our troops
unpainted … bums.  In fact, it might have even increased the volume on the
maniacal laughing.  He even went so far as to check the rulebook, and laughed
when he saw that painted armor is a "frowny face rule", and said something to
the effect of "we don't need no stinkin' frowny-face rules".

MOST WILLING TO DRESS HIS TROOPERS IN ABSURD FASHIONS - goes to Joe who, for
the second game, sent a trooper into his secret laboratroy to put on that
godawful Pith Helmet and attached backpack.  Joe ascribes a great deal of
prestige to this, not realizing that none of the rest of us are able to even
bear the thought of wearing that contraption, and so suffer the consequences of
letting him have it without a fight.  Even his own teammates, when Joe asks if
they want to run in and grab it, are quick to point out that no, it's only
right for him to have the chance.  It says a great deal about a man, when he's
willing to adorn himself in a Space-Age Clown's outfit.  It says more about a
man when he's willing to dress up his little plastic soldiers in one.

BEST CHEERLEADER - goes to Todd Lehman, whom we never thought would ever look
so good in a pleated skirt holding pom-poms.  The fact that Todd was tiptoeing
around, wielding expensive photography equipment and innovative flash and
strobe lighting, really lent a sense of credibility to the six grown men
hunkered over a large table covered with plastic toy pieces.  We all felt more
important, in the grand scheme of the galactic political scene, for his
unwavering attention and appreciation.

MOST SUPREMO COMMANDER AND ULTIMATE VICTOR - well, it seems that there's only
yours truly left to dole an award out to.  Ahh well, I'll humbly accept, I
guess.

All in all, this was a great Brikwars game, I daresay.  The teams were evenly
matched, the battlefield was fair, fun, and interesting all at the same time.
The troops were individualized, there was a common storyline, and there were
some great firefights that resulted in that most-highly-sought-after commodity
in Brikwars, violent and spectacularly gruesome ABS carnage.  And the whole
time, there was much strategizing, laughing, and comraderie had by all.

Check the gallery, once it clears, for many many many more pictures:

Also, check out Jonathan's post with further details:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=2379

-s