Re: Layout roads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 13:01:52 GMT

I was poking around Brickshelf and came across this image in a recent show
folder of yours:

I do know that what you are seeing are 1x bricks, primarily 1 x 4 bricks.
There is some sub-structure but Nate will have to tell you what that is.
2x4 bricks probably.  Black was chosen to save cost over using Light Gray or
Dark Gray.  Brick Roads definitely will eat up a LOT of plain baseplates,
black bricks, 1x yellow and white plates, and 6x gray plates for sidewalks.

The finished roads do look nice regardless of their black color.  Just think
fresh pavement.  With custom-built roads you have the possibility of showing
roads in various states of dis-repair, various textures, various colors, and
of course, various lengths, widths, and odd intersections.  Curves are
tricky, but with LEGO, some compromises are always necessary.

As the layout pictures show, our entire layout is NOT done this way.  Nate
has built a few transition sections to move from baseplate roads to brick
roads and these transition places give the construction workers some place
to work.

Nate just recently uploaded MORE photos of the recent layout (Caution--the
files are HUGE)
Other photos showing the brick roads can be found in other folders, too,
from prior train shows.

I think that on a home layout, the custom-built brick roads have a lot of
possibilities and can look really cool and highly detailed.  However, it may
not be necessary to convert an entire layout to the brick roads all at one
time.  Again, think fresh pavement - perhaps on a street-by-street basis,
etc.

Kevin Salm
LUCNY

Hi Kevin,

thanks for the reply and information. I appreciate it. I did notice that the
entire layout was not made up of the 'brick road bed' technique. (excellent
layout, BTW)

Now I have to decide what color to make my roads. I am thinking dark grey is the
*right* color as I will be having an elevevated subway above them that will be
black. I know that is just going to be really expensive.

Let me check my lotto numbers....

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Jonathan