Re: Layout roads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 03:41:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Joe Strout wrote:

   One thing that puzzled me at the NILTC club, and even more now that I see two other clubs doing it: why black? Real roads aren’t black; they’re gray. A dark gray (or even light gray, for older/more weathered streets) would look more realistic to my eyes.

For me, it’s a matter of color palette control. Look, there are only so many colors in LEGO with which one can build. I am very careful to avoid primary colors in buildings because they are rather unrealistic. So, a building can be tan, dark gray, gray, dark red, brown, sand red, SOL green or white. I avoid black in buildings. So, it makes for a nice contrast to have the streets black and the muted tones in the buildings. Gray streets would tend to make a city too monochromatic for my taste. Plus, I’ve got dark gray trackbeds which add even more grayness.

   The other thing about the 2xN bricks is that they’re shiny; much more so than LEGO road plates. The combination of overly dark color and shininess always makes it look to me like the pavement is wet -- perhaps all the minifigs should be carrying umbrellas!

That’s why one should never dust one’s layout;-)

Notice how nicely one can bury trolley tracks with this method!

JOHN