 Organizations / United States / LRGOAA / 50
Re: LRGOAA & MichLUG Joint Meeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lrgoaa, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:16:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lrgoaa, Jason Spears wrote:
   No one is trying to glom LRGOAA under the umbrella of MichLUG. LRGOAA is it’s own entity, doing it’s own thing. I was just trying to arrange a meeting.

Okay, well that is good to know. This exchange coupled with the previous one that happened on our forum made me think that was the intent. Sorry if I mis-read you.

   Maybe I phrased something wrong in another email. MichLUG is likely to have a May meeting. You mentioned that LRGOAA will be having a May meeting. I thought that if the schedules worked out we might be able to have both meetings on the same day in the same place.

I think that the 2 groups use their meetings for very different things. Actually, I think the 2 groups are quite different from eachother on a fundemental level. From what Larry and you have said, I gather that there is a huge social component to the MichLug and its meetings/shows. It sounds like much of the time spent together is spent being together (which is what communities of like minded people tend to do). Additionally, there seems to be a desire to promote LEGO as a worhtwhile hobby, which might be the actual focus o several of your shows. So far, LRGoAA has been about robotics challenges and competitions which happen to use LEGO as the medium of choice (for several reasons most of which I am sure you all know and agree with). We have recently added a monthly meeting because some members didn’t want to wait so long between events to do challenges. Our meetings are typically all about the upcoming event, the rules are discussed, different aspects of the challenge are discussed, we bring in prototypes of our ideas to show-off and get feedback on. Our meetings are somewhat brief, 2 to 3 hours max and they occur at night in the middle of the week at a local, bust coffee shop. They are not necessarily ideal for a joint meeting between the groups.

If there were to be a joint meeting between the groups (beyond what I suggested in my previous post, i.e. interested members of either group showing up at meetings of both groups), it seems to me that it might be best if MichLug invited LRGoAA to come to a meeting and to present a specific thing.

   I looked over your site and couldn’t see any info on the exact date & place of the May meeting. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Our event calendar is found on this page: http://www.24tooth.com/FutureEvents.php, and specifically the May meeting is found here: http://www.24tooth.com/FutureEvents.php#MayMeeting.

Jona