 Organizations / United States / LRGOAA / 49
Re: LRGOAA & MichLUG Joint Meeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lrgoaa, lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:13:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lrgoaa, Jona Jeffords wrote:
   I can see myself attending a MichLug meeting if I was bringing a robot to show-off and maybe solicit new participants to our events. I can not see myself attending a MichLug meeting because I like to discuss trains and towns and LEGO in general or with the overall intent of my group becoming a sub-group of the MichLug. I feel our focus is specific and to get glommed on to an umbrella group would dilute our identity. Additionally, any benefit that the MichLug would have by adding us to its roster of sub-groups can easily be achieved by those members who have robotics interest to start coming to our meetings.

No one is trying to glom LRGOAA under the umbrella of MichLUG. LRGOAA is it’s own entity, doing it’s own thing. I was just trying to arrange a meeting.

   Right. And from what Jason is saying in his post, it sounds like he was/is looking to fill in some down-time that the MichLug has in the summer months. This is a good thing for a group organizer to do, to be sure, but don’t be surprised when other groups are not jumping at the chance.

Maybe I phrased something wrong in another email. MichLUG is likely to have a May meeting. You mentioned that LRGOAA will be having a May meeting. I thought that if the schedules worked out we might be able to have both meetings on the same day in the same place. I wasn’t trying to fill in some down-time so to speak, but rather the summer months have more leway in moving a meeting that we would in Decemeber. I have found talking with other LEGO fans to be fun and interesting. If LRGOAA isn’t interested, then I guess it won’t happen.

As for other groups not jumping at the chance, I guess we will have to see, as I will be contact those groups soon.

   If you can’t wait until September, you can attend our next event which is on Saturday, April 17th. We will be attempting an automated trash collection challenge put forth by one of our members. In this challenge, the robots need to negotiate the route (LEGO road baseplates) and when they detect a trash bin, empty its contents into themselves. For all of the event details see this page: http://www.24tooth.com/CurrentEvent.html. The rules are now official and we expect 4 or so robots (that I currently am aware of).

The challange sounds pretty neat.

   Following this we will be having our normal monthly meetings (May and June) and another event in July. The challenge for the July event hasn’t been decided on yet so if you are interested, you can put your 2 cents worth in at the meetings.

I looked over your site and couldn’t see any info on the exact date & place of the May meeting. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Jason Spears | BrickCentral | MichLUG