Re: third generation rock crawler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:12:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
At this point, there really aren't limits on LEGO parts.  Bryan
hasn't posted (publicly) about his robot, but I think he's using the
controller from the RC buggy for his, along with four motors.

My vehicle does use 4 RC buggy motors.  I have a motor drive assembly for each
*wheel*.  The drive assembly is outside the suspension components so no linkage
is required.  The vehicle actually uses 2 RC buggy receiver units and steering
units so I have 4 wheel steering.  My wheels (right now) are tracks.  These are
much lighter than the big tires.

I did the John test yesterday and found my vehicle can get up about a 4 foot
long 35 degree incline of smooth particle board (didn't have sanded plywood
handy).  The test I was originally running was to have the vehicle climb over
about a 2 inch tall box in the middle of the floor.  In my case it was an empty
Technic Snowmobile box.  To be able to climb up and over the box without just
scooting it across the floor seemed meaningful also...it indicates the energy of
the vechicle is being used to drive it, not force it into the object in front of
the vehicle.

Hope to get pictures sometime soon...