 Organizations / GLUG / 36
Re: The future of GLUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:09:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.glug, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
Can we mirror stuff with out permission for archival purposes?  My
understanding is that when it is impossible to contact appropriate
rights-holders, you're quite safe doing it until you hear different.
We might ought to do that for posterity in case sources dry up in
the future.

From the strictest legal standpoint, it's still a copyright violation, but
for all practical purposes it's safe.  If the material was once available on
the web as public domain, and you make a reasonable effort to contact the
rights-holders, and you provide means for the rights-holders to contact you
so that they can request that the material be taken off-line, that's a
pretty standard demonstration of goodwill.  The only real legal trouble I
can see arising is, if GLUG does decide to go with some kind of
paid-membership system, we couldn't put that material on a portion of the
site that was restricted to paying members.

I've been privately archiving copies of Lego games off the web for quite
awhile, if there are a few you can't find links for I may have backup copies
on my hard drive.