 Organizations / GLUG / 28
Re: The future of GLUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 06:50:47 GMT

"Mike Rayhawk" <rayhawk@artcenter.edu> wrote in message
news:HC193r.1GnE@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.org.glug, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
I'm the sort of de facto web guy, only because I was trying to push • GenCon
organization through.  You would be welcome to register the domain and • work on
a web page, as long as there's not a GLUG/BW conflict of interests.

I'd honestly love to take on this project, but the current state of • BrikWars
is evidence enough of the limits on my ability to free up time for things
like this.  I can make the initial financial outlay and contribute some
design work, but I can't commit to anything more than that, much as I'd
like to.

Could everyone contribute?

I figure I can pick up the domain and hosting, and then share the ftp • login
and such with whichever person or people want to be in charge.  I'm on
pretty good terms with my hosting company, so it'll be easy to pick up a
basic 30MB Unix hosting plan and then upgrade as necessary when we decide
how much space we're going to need and whether we need Windows hosting.

I would love to learn.

Please include the info in our GenCon link.

If you want I can just copy your GenCon pages straight over, I won't have
time to even think about a full redesign until at least next week, and • maybe
not even then.  The first thing to do is open up the floor for people to
think of a cool GLUG logo; we can use the spare server space to start
collecting everybody's ideas.

Also, let us know how to chip in for the domain.

The domain is cheap enough that there's no reason to worry about it; even
the hosting isn't going to be that expensive until we get up past 100MB or
so.  And if GLUG gets big enough that we need more than 100MB of server
space, then it would probably be reasonable to start asking for
contributions at that point.

Are there enough monetary costs involved that there'd be reason to
start charging?
That's a good question.  For one thing, what else would we maybe do
that is optional if we did have some cash?

Embezzlement springs to mind.

I can't think of much, unless we wanted to do some kind of heavy • promotion.
Pizza AND doughnuts at every event maybe?  A GLUG-subsidized beer supply?

You want to start a riot don't you. C'mon admit it. Pizza and beer at a
gaming convention, the temptation is too great? The possibilities boggle the
mind.

Rather than charging for membership, we might consider charging for • specific
events, which would open options for offering tournament prizes or
something.

That would be possible but we would be sacrificing the good camaraderie of
just building then destroying stuff. We can try it though.

So unless anybody has specific objection, I'm going to grab a domain - • does
anybody have a preference between gamelug.org and gamelug.com?