 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17177
Re: R/C skid steer test
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 03:09:40 GMT

On 2/6/07, Nathan Bell wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:
I finally got around to testing the idea of a R/C tank.  I built a
little test rig just to see how it would work.

Nice!  Can it steer while also moving forward, or does the switch work with just
a 3-position action (turn right/go straight/turn left)?  Could you also use 3
12-tooth gears for the side opposite the 2 24-tooth gears, or did you use the 2
16-toothed and 1 8-toothed gear for a specific reason other than stud-length?

Oh yes! it can steer when going forward.  With the current gearing
though, it spins out.  I should try to drive the adder/subtractor
input with an 8-tooth gear rather than the current 24 to slow the
turning rate down.  Though I suppose I couldn't spin madly in place
then :)

3 12-tooth should work just the same.  The only requirement is
reversing the direction of rotation on one side of the differentials
from the other.  in either case you will need to insert a 1x1 technic
"beam", or some other technique to hold the idler gear at its 1/2
spacing offset.

-Rob A>