 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 545
Subject:
Canadian Trains from California?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 02:37:19 GMT

  Sorry for the delay. technical problems kept me from posting, but
I've been watching the growing plans. The show ought to look simply
amazing. I wish I could be there to take some pictures and video!

  I've been modelling a couple of VIA coach lines (yellow/grey
bombarierd-style, and blue with yellow stripes), as well as a
CP engine. I can also offer some intermodal frieght and my 6-bed
'spline' car (6 beds, 14 axles grouped as 7 trucks, and just
two couplers), if there is any interest, as well as a couple
drop-bed grey flatbeds. You can see some pictures of the trains
at http://www.baylug.org/zonker/canadian/.

  I'll also be sending up 80 pcs of straight, 32 pcs of curved
track, and two pair of switched track...as soon as I can get a
postal address from SRC. :-)

     Regards,

        -Z-

Re: Canadian Trains from California?
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, David K. Z. Harris writes:
I've been modelling a couple of VIA coach lines (yellow/grey
bombarierd-style, and blue with yellow stripes), as well as a
CP engine. I can also offer some intermodal frieght and my 6-bed
'spline' car (6 beds, 14 axles grouped as 7 trucks, and just
two couplers), if there is any interest, as well as a couple
drop-bed grey flatbeds. You can see some pictures of the trains
at http://www.baylug.org/zonker/canadian/.

I was telling Zonker that maybe we should have the Calgary train fans
vote on which is the better VIA train (since JamesP is sending his also.)
The only two VIA LEGO trains I've ever seen anywhere - BOTH
at Canada's largest model train show.  This is getting exciting.
I just hope the weather is as nice in three weeks as it is now...

SRC
StRuCtures

Re: Canadian Trains from California?
  I've been modelling a couple of VIA coach lines (yellow/grey
bombarierd-style, and blue with yellow stripes), as well as a
CP engine. I can also offer some intermodal frieght and my 6-bed
'spline' car (6 beds, 14 axles grouped as 7 trucks, and just
two couplers), if there is any interest, as well as a couple
drop-bed grey flatbeds. You can see some pictures of the trains
at http://www.baylug.org/zonker/canadian/.

That's some really cool stuff. If it comes up here, I hope I get a
chance to see it in person! Seeing stuff that is familiar is always
a hoot! So, what's with those "slugs"? I vaguely recall seeing one
at some point. Do they have full motor-generator sets in them, and
if so, why are they half-height, versus the full-height B units?

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, David K. Z. Harris writes:
I've been modelling a couple of VIA coach lines (yellow/grey
bombarierd-style, and blue with yellow stripes), as well as a
CP engine. I can also offer some intermodal frieght and my 6-bed
'spline' car (6 beds, 14 axles grouped as 7 trucks, and just
two couplers), if there is any interest, as well as a couple
drop-bed grey flatbeds. You can see some pictures of the trains
at http://www.baylug.org/zonker/canadian/.

I was telling Zonker that maybe we should have the Calgary train fans
vote on which is the better VIA train (since JamesP is sending his also.)
The only two VIA LEGO trains I've ever seen anywhere - BOTH
at Canada's largest model train show.  This is getting exciting.
I just hope the weather is as nice in three weeks as it is now...

SRC
StRuCtures

I too have made a lego VIA model (engine only )

Re: Canadian Trains from California?
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, David K. Z. Harris writes:

I've been modelling a couple of VIA coach lines (yellow/grey
bombarierd-style, and blue with yellow stripes), as well as a
CP engine. I can also offer some intermodal frieght and my 6-bed
'spline' car (6 beds, 14 axles grouped as 7 trucks, and just
two couplers), if there is any interest, as well as a couple
drop-bed grey flatbeds. You can see some pictures of the trains
at http://www.baylug.org/zonker/canadian/.

This is really, really nice!

Also, I loved your pictures of the LRC. Those are awesome shots! I've always
thought the LRC is North America's most aesthetically pleasing train. The
nose is so wonderful! I really wonder if it would translate well into LEGO.

Don't forget to do the tilting of the coaches! ;)

    Iain

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Chris Gray writes:
"David Zonker Harris" <frenezulo@esperanto.org> writes:

  I've been modelling a couple of VIA coach lines (yellow/grey
bombarierd-style, and blue with yellow stripes), as well as a
CP engine. I can also offer some intermodal frieght and my 6-bed
'spline' car (6 beds, 14 axles grouped as 7 trucks, and just
two couplers), if there is any interest, as well as a couple
drop-bed grey flatbeds. You can see some pictures of the trains
at http://www.baylug.org/zonker/canadian/.

That's some really cool stuff. If it comes up here, I hope I get a
chance to see it in person! Seeing stuff that is familiar is always
a hoot! So, what's with those "slugs"? I vaguely recall seeing one
at some point. Do they have full motor-generator sets in them, and
if so, why are they half-height, versus the full-height B units?

  The 'slugs' are parasitic...only traction motors and etc., drawing
power from the connected locomotive. The 'B' (booster units) are
basically a full locomotive, without the cab, and only controlled
by the sttached loco. Apparently, the 'B' units didn't cost much
less, so most train companies would rather buy full locos now,
and have the ability to run them as separate locos.

  The 'slugs' are also supposed to be better a low speeds (lots
of power, and can get to speed quickly), so they are usually
only going to be found in switching yards, versus 'B' units being
found on longer hauls.

  (All of this was gleaned from chats you can find in the LUGNET
Trains group...Larry P was one of the main writers, but I don't
remember who else had good contributions. Steve (SRC) says
he has seen the slugs around Edmonton, and I'm hoping he
can get some more pictures for me, showing details like the
heavy power interconnect cables between the slug and cab.)

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Kai Brodersen writes:
[...]

Very nice.  I'd be happy to show it along with the rest.
Can you get it to me within the next two weeks?

SRC
StRuCtures