 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / *753 (-5)
Subject:
Town/Technic MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.technic, lugnet.town, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:24:11 GMT

Nearly a year ago, our group, NALUG, was asked to do some displays and bus kits
for the local transit system. I ended up doing two kits and one larger model. A
few months ago, I got my "Emerald Night" train, and #8275 Power Functions
bulldozer. That gave me experience with Power Functions, and eventually got me
thinking about powering one of my buses. The one I did is a "New Flyer" low-
floor bus. Externally, it is identical to the kit that I had designed, and so
looks like a town creation. Inside, it is stuffed with Power Functions and
Technic. The big challenge was steering inside a 1x6 arch (the wheel-well).
My page on the powered bus is here:

     http://www.graysage.com/cg/Toys/Lego/ETS2008/Powered/index.html

-Chris Gray

Subject:
NALUG at Capital Ex
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:29:50 GMT

A small NALUG display is present at Edmonton's "Capital Ex" (used to be called
"Klondike Days") this year. This year is the centennial for the Edmonton Transit
System, so they contacted us to do something for them. We came up with a pair of
bus kits (one for kids, one for folks like bus drivers). We also have a pair of
larger scale bus models. The operating portion of the display is a single loop of
track going around a model of the original Edmonton General Hospital and 4 houses,
running a model of the old-style trolley trains.

NALUG folks will not be manning the display, but the 3 young folks there can
answer questions.

The show starts tomorrow at noon - the downtown parade is at 10 a.m.

-Chris Gray

Subject:
NALUG Royal Alberta Museum display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 22:58:07 GMT

The year 2005 was the centennial for the province of Alberta. So, members of
NALUG built several historic structures from the local Edmonton area, to
display at the 2005 Great Edmonton Train Show. That show, and the structures,
can be seen on our show page at:

     http://www.nalug.org/TrainShow2005/index.html

Some members that have been to LegoLand say that some of our stuff is better
than the official Lego structures. Personally, I have no idea - you should all
judge for yourselves. Models on display will include the High Level bridge
(over 20 feet long, accompanied by the Light Rail Transit bridge and
river-valley scenery), the Alberta Legislature (7 foot by 10 foot, and about 4
foot high - in highly detailed tan and grey), the Hotel Macdonald (one of
Canada's older hotels, in detailed grey), the old Misericordia and Edmonton
General hospitals, Saint Joseph's college on the university campus, the
original Rossdale power plant, and a very large interior detailed model of the
current Enbridge building from downtown Edmonton.

We put a large amount of effort and pieces into these models, and we wanted to
use them more than just the one time. So, we have managed to get invited to
display the models in the Royal Alberta Museum here in Edmonton. The traveling
Lego "Under the Sea" display is at the museum now, and will be there while our
models are on display as well. The Lego display is on the main floor, and ours
will be on the second floor in a special gallery.

Our display runs from December 9 2006 to January 2 2007. The museum hours are
10 A.M. to 4:00 P.M., most days.

So, folks from all over are invited to come to Edmonton to view the display.
Let us know if you plan to visit, so we can setup get-togethers as desired. You
can post to lugnet.org.ca.nalug or email to legotrains@graysage.com .

Thanks, and hope to see some visitors,

-Chris Gray

Subject:
Searching For 2x4s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 05:39:23 GMT

I don't have the extensive and organized storage methods that some
here make use of - just LEGO boxes from parted out sets, buckets
and tubs, using the holey plastic bags.  As time goes by (and I
move a few times) the old mental inventory gets a bit unreliable.

Today I had to find (10) sand blue 2x4s for an order, but when I
checked the tub they should have been in - twice - they weren't.

Below are the photos of my resultant searching for the next hour
or so.  I finally found them - exactly where they were supposed
to be, hiding underneath a bunch of white 2x4s.   <Sigh>   :-)

You can imagine how much help the cat was, and yes those are
light grey 1x16 beams.  I haven't found a place for them yet...

SRC     LUGNet #765
StRuCtures™  Bricksmith™
http://SRC.NorthComp.com

Subject:
Load up the LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:45:14 GMT

You know that funny look you get from people
when taking a cart full of LEGO to your car?

Try it with a Kenworth & 53' trailer...   8-)

SRC     LUGNet #765
StRuCtures™  Bricksmith™
http://SRC.NorthComp.com

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact