 Organizations / 640
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:14:32 GMT

In lugnet.org, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
[ XFUT lugnet.org ]

In lugnet.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

This sounds quite a bit like the WorldLUG concept discussed
several days ago, in essence. Is this a parallel type of
project, or could the two be combined?

I agree that it seems to be quite a bit like WorldLUG.  And yes,
I suppose the two projects could be combined.  As far as I know,
both projects want to build an open structure, where everybody
can take part, so it is hard to see where the conflict would be.

And if the two projects want to compete, it is fine with me too,
as long as they stay open in such a way that they can include
data, articles and code from each other.

Has anybody done a poll of LEGO-oriented webmasters to see how
interested they'd be in participating?

I don't think so.

It sounds like a slam dunk, but you never know.

A problem current site owners may have with projects like
WorldLUG and LEGOFan.net is that they will have to relax their
control they have over the content on their sites to get the
full benefits from the projects.

Open Source and Open Content licenses have similar goals but different
structures because of the focus of the license. I'm still unclear about what
control you are referring to here thay may need to be relaxed. Do Todd and Suz
own all the content on LUGNET ? The copyright notice from LUGNET reads ...

QUOTE
Except where otherwise noted or where implicitly understood (such as discussion
group content created by users or images owned by the LEGO Group), all material
on this site site is Copyright © by Todd S. Lehman and Suzanne D. Rich. All
rights reserved.
UNQUOTE

My read of this is that (in the great words of The WELL) 'I own my words'. I'm
sure that there are some things here (LUGNET Guide ?) which are not covered by
the above, but I'm not seeing a lack of open content here. Please help me to
understand your point of view.

Ray