 Organizations / 637
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org, lugnet.build, lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego, lugnet.publish, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:29:06 GMT

[ XFUT lugnet.org ]

In lugnet.build, Jeff Szklennik wrote:

I'm not trying to be a wet towel, but I've always viewed
LUGnet as the 'center portal' or 'hub'  of the lego
community--it functions as exactly that, AND a discussion
site.  Secondly, Lugnet already fits the "concept of a
LEGO site that the community could truly call its own."
Thirdly, LUGnet already has "the involvement of the LEGO
Company itself."  basically, LEGOFan.net seems totally
redundant

Reading the announcement, I must agree that LEGOFan.net
seems redundant.  But some things didn't get into the
announcement; things _I_ believe will make LEGOFan.net (and
WorldLUG as I understand it) significantly different from
Lugnet:

* It is not just that we plan to use Open Source software.
   Everybody (even Microsoft and IBM) does that nowadays.
   We actually plan to have the whole software package used
   to run the site available for download for anybody
   interested in setting up a competing or complementary
   site.

* Similarly we have also discussed making all of the
   content (but of course not user data like e-mail
   addresses) Open Source as well.

The reasons for doing this are:

+ LEGOFan.net will have to keep developing, to stay on top.
   If development stops, any competent LEGO fan will be able
   to grab a copy of the site software and the data and set
   up a competing site.  It the site software and content
   isn't Open Source, there is a much higher treshold for
   setting up a competing site, and development will thus
   have to start from scratch, if LEGOFan.net development
   stops or stagnates.

+ It will be easier for people to experiment with new
   modules for the site, if they easily can set up a test
   system on their own.

+ Local LEGO clubs may get an easy system for setting up
   their own community site in a form that easily can
   exchange data and articles with the LEGOFan.net site.

+ We may be able to attract developers, who can use the
   core part of the site software for non-LEGO projects,
   and thus attract a larger developer base, than with a
   closed LEGO-only software development project.

and *almost* feels like a slap in the face to
LUGnet & Todd.

In a sense it _is_ a slap in the face to Lugnet and Todd.
Lugnet isn't open for anybody to experiment with the
software and try to develop new features.  Nor is it
controlled by the LEGO fan community, it is controlled by
Todd, and even though Todd _is_ a LEGO fan that isn't quite
the same.

HOWEVER, more Lego sites are a good thing.
Good Luck.

Thanks.

Play well,

Jacob