 Organizations / 35
CFD: Subgroups for lugnet.org.us & lugnet.trains.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.ut.slc, lugnet.loc.us.wa, lugnet.loc.us.ga
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 01:30:50 GMT

Watching the recent discussions in lugnet.org and lugnet.org.us has been a
lot of fun.  The groups are serving their purpose well as venues for sharing
ideas on formation and nurturing of regional user groups/clubs.  But I think
there is still much more potential within these ng hierarchies.

With eight significant regional clubs/groups now having taken shape --

   BayLUG - [San Francisco] Bay Area LEGO Users Group
   NELUG - New England LEGO Users Group
   GMLUG - Greater Midwest LEGO Users Group
   WAMALUG - Washington Metro Area LEGO Users Group
   WAFOL - Wasatch Area [Utah] Fans of LEGO
   PNLTC - Pacific Northwest LEGO Train Club
   GMLTC - Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club
   NGLTC - Northern Georgia LEGO Train Club

-- and more on the way -- it's a good time to talk about how LUGNET can help
these regional groups prosper even more directly.

I see groups out there struggling to gain new members and invite new people
to join obscure mailing lists; I see groups crossposting to large numbers of
lugnet.loc.us.* state and city groups in order to reach and maintain a wide
audience -- but crossposting on every new thread can be a real chore; and I
see groups struggling even simply to get their name out in the open.

What's worse, under many current ad hoc setups, if someone wants to
participate in their club's discussions via NNTP news or the web, but their
club only has a mailing list, then they're stuck with that, and the depth of
the discussions often suffer.

So this is an area that LUGNET could help out in a big, big way:  We could
solve all of these issues by taking lugnet.org.us and lugnet.trains.org
(currently plain groups with no subgroups) and making a bunch of parallel
subgroups, one for each major group/club:

   lugnet.org.us.baylug
   lugnet.org.us.nelug
   lugnet.org.us.gmlug
   lugnet.org.us.wamalug
   lugnet.org.us.wafol
   lugnet.trains.org.pnltc
   lugnet.trains.org.gmltc
   lugnet.trains.org.ngltc

This arrangement allows for participation in club discussions in ways
custom-tailored to each individual -- via e-mail, digests, NNTP news, web
boards -- even mix & match depending on the time of day or the nature of a
discussion.  If someone wants to read their club's messages as a mailing
list, they can.  If they want to read them on the web, they can.  If they
want the full power of a real newsreader, they can have it.

A second big advantage of this arrangement is that club announcements can be
crossposted directly other LUGNET groups to reach the widest local audience,
with followups directed to a club's .org group for focused discussion.

For example, a typical NELUG message might go simply like this:

   Newsgroups: lugnet.org.us.nelug

and a major NELUG announcement could go out like this:

   Newsgroups: lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos,lugnet.loc.us.ma,lugnet.loc.us.ct,
               lugnet.loc.us.ri,lugnet.loc.us.vt,lugnet.loc.us.nh,
               lugnet.loc.us.me,lugnet.org.us,lugnet.announce

I'd like to hear from the various groups/clubs and see what they think about
this.  This would all be very easy to set up given the existing structure,
so please don't by shy.  :)

--Todd

[crossposted widely with followups set to lugnet.org.us]