 Organizations / United States / 185
Re: CFD: Subgroups for lugnet.org.us & lugnet.trains.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:48:19 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <383b1a64.153493579@lugnet.com>...
Another thought -- not to diminish the private mailing list but to address
its advantages differently:  What if you could create informational pages • in
the /org/us/nelug/ area that only NELUG members (who've gone through • NELUG's
official membership process and obtained official NELUG membership) could
access -- and would be restricted to outsiders?

These might be things like, as you mentioned, directions to meetings or
people's phone numbers, or they could really contain any information for • the
group.  Allowing sub-communities (such as user groups or clubs) to create
privileged-access pages is also relatively easy to implement now given the
evolving LUGNET website architecture, and has always been part of the
long-term plan as well.

Cool.

Is a web site a must?

Not IMHO...  In fact, if a group was having trouble raising money for a
domain or didn't have anyone with the expertise to set up a free geocities
site or other technical things like that, the group (assuming it had a
"tangible manifestation" could even just point people at the • /org/us/xyzpdq/
area on LUGNET as their starting point or web site if they wanted to, until
they had a real site).  In other words, a little mini-website on LUGNET • just
for them would be an automatic freebie for any group making the leap into
existence.

Cool.

Does the group have to meet at least once?

That's a great question.  From my point of view, things I'd look for as
"tangible manifestations" are things like an actual count of people (say, 4
or 5 or more) and a name and a purpose and a geographical area, etc.

Sounds good to me. Hmm, we're just barely there for a triangle
(Raleigh/Durham NC) group with 4 or 5 of us.

Frank