 Organizations / 306
Re: For the history books -- LUG & LTC dates of formation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 14:42:53 GMT

In lugnet.org, Todd Lehman writes:
I am starting a list of local users group and clubs.  I want it to be as
complete as possible and for the history books (and, aw heck, for charts and
graphs someday) I'd like to include the official dates of formation of each
group/club.

1999-03-05  GMLTC: Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club (U.S.A.)

What date are you looking for here?

If you're looking for the date the 'club' started displaying LEGO trains at
shows, it would be sometime in the mid 1980s.  When most of the group started
getting together?  1993.  When we started having any sort of 'web' presence?
Maybe 1998, or maybe your 1999/03/05 date...

The GMLTC has been called 'the most informal club' because we don't have dues,
or a charter, or even a roster.  We just get together and build.  We're not big
into self promotion, we prefer to let our layout impress people.

Of course our layout is currently being taken apart, so it's only impressive
when you see four or five 32quart containers filled with one color of 2x4
bricks.  Yea, we have a lot of bricks to play with!  And lots of plans for the
next layout...  <grin>

JohnG, GMLTC

When was GMLTC started? (was: Re: For the history books -- LUG & LTC dates of formation)
lugnet.org, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 19:46:20 GMT

In lugnet.org, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.org, Todd Lehman writes:
1999-03-05  GMLTC: Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club (U.S.A.)

What date are you looking for here?

If you're looking for the date the 'club' started displaying LEGO trains at
shows, it would be sometime in the mid 1980s.  When most of the group
started getting together?  1993.

Would anyone happen to know an exact date for either of those?

When we started having any sort of 'web'
presence?  Maybe 1998, or maybe your 1999/03/05 date...

The GMLTC has been called 'the most informal club' because we don't have
dues, or a charter, or even a roster.  We just get together and build.
We're not big into self promotion, we prefer to let our layout impress
people.

I guess what I'm looking for is the exact date on which GMLTC started calling
itself GMLTC (i.e., that it became that entity, however informally) and also,
if known, the date on which people in the Twin Cities (those who initially
founded GMLTC) started congregating and saying, "Hey, we should make a thing
of this."

Sounds like the history of GMLTC would make a very interesting book.  :-)

--Todd

Re: When was GMLTC started? (was: Re: For the history books -- LUG & LTC dates of formation)