 Organizations / 26
Re: Some questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:06:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.org, James Brown writes:
<I didn't get much (read: any) response to this in the .org group, so I'm
guessing it doesn't get read much.  Cross-posting to .general for exposure,
follow-ups set back to .org>

We (NOVALTC) meant to reply, but I think it got lost in the shuffle.  :)

Hey all,

The Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) crew are considering forming a club, and it
occured to me that there are a bunch of organizations out there already, and
it would be a good idea, to poll them for information.  It also occured to me
that it would be just a good idea in general to have these Q&A's as a
resource...so:
Questions for those of you in the various LUGs and LTCs:

How did you decide on a name?

Well, for us, the of the founding member lives in Norther Virginia, so he
decided on NOrthern VirginiA Lego Train Club.  It wasn't until the third member
(me) that a non-Virginian joined.  We are currently considering a new name, as
some of our recent members aren't into trains as much as other themes.  Among
the names we are considering are:
NOVALTC (i.e. keeping the old one)
NOVALUG (changing from a train group to a general Lego group)
WAMALUG (WAshington Metro Area Lego User Group)

How much did the existing conventions (Lego Users Group & Lego Train Club)
influence your decision?

As you can see, we are using a four letter prefix instead of many other groups'
two.  This is to avoid confusion (i.e. is NVLTC "Northern Virginia" or
"Nevada"?) and so it is easy to pronounce.

What legal status (if any) does your club have?

None, we are unofficial.

What is the purpose of your club (trains, general building, etc)?  If you
don't have a single focus, how do you determine priorities?

Well, we are considering becoming a LUG instead of an LTC.  As for
focus/priorities, many people are concentrating on Trains and Town, but members
can do what they want.  :)

How diverse are you, geographically?

Most members are located in Northern Virginia, but there are a few of us in
Maryland and Washington DC.

How do you get around the geographical limitations you do face (if any)?

Well, for the most part, it doesn't take any member more than an hour to get to
the current meeting place.  Unless they are like me and get lost easily.  :)

How many members do you have?

I believe we currently have 12 members.  We do have a couple prospective
members who have yet to/cannot join the mailing list.

How often do you meet?

Irregularly.  ;)  Actually, we've had three meetings so far (we've been
around for four months), with another one coming up this Friday(1).

How do you arrange for meeting space when you do meet?

One member has a very nice community room in her apartment building, which is
where we've been meeting recently.  The first time we just met at Union Station
in Washington DC.

What do you do at meetings?

Talk about Lego bricks, trends, sets, etc; set up train layouts; bring trade
fodder; and show off MOCs(2).

Have you contacted, or attempted to contact The Lego Company or
representatives thereof?

Nope, but we do have some contact with the new Lego Store manager.

Has The Lego Company (or representatives thereof) contacted you?  Again, was
it a good experience or a bad experience?

Nope, and I doubt they would unless we did something not to their liking.

Have you put on any shows?

We are planning on having a setup at the Gaithersburg GATS in February.

Do you get much disbelief when you tell people that you are (a member of) a
Lego fan club?  How do you deal with it?

I get some disbelieving looks, and head shaking, to which I just give a
mischievous grin.  ;)
Also, its fun to see the blank looks and feigned interest of my family and
friends every time I bring up Legos.  :)

What advice would you have for others attempting to start a Lego club?

Just do it!  :)  It helps to have three or four people though.  ;)

Jeff

1 - We'll be meeting at Potomac Mills mall for the grand opening of the Lego
store, this Friday (Nov. 19).  The mall opens at 8am, and the stores open at
10am.

2 - And drop them too!  Luckily, I've damaged the model enough to know how to
put it back together, so there was no harm done.  :)