 Off-Topic / Fun / 7231
Re: Favourite (non-Lego) websites
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 06:42:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Steve Lane writes:
I've noticed lately that the amount of surfing I do has dropped off
dramatically. I now tend just to search out prototype info for pending Lego
projects. If it's not that, I tend to revisit old sites repeatedly (Lugnet &
ebay etc). So I thought the patrons of Lugnet are bound to know of some
great sites to visit so why not have a quick survey.

What's your favourite non-Lego site and why?

   Recreation:

   http://www.seanbaby.com/

   For old men o' thirty like me, his take on the Superfriends--
   which, by the way, is NOT recommended for children or the easily
   offended, as it can be pretty risque at points--is hilarious.
   He also has on that site the complete archive of Superfriends
   Hostess Cakes comic book ads--with commentary from liminal
   characters that oft leaves me rolling.  It reminds me just
   how stupid and improbable the television of our childhood really
   was.

   He's also got some great stuff on Nintendo and the console
   world and "the worst game ideas of all time."  It's very
   snarky and cynical, but goodness it's funny.  YMMV.

   For interesting info:

   http://www.combinedfleet.com

   A curious site about Nihon Kaigun (the Imperial Japanese Navy)
   of World War II.  I own many of the standard reference volumes
   but it's nice to see this online, with scans from the boxes of
   the great 1/700 Waterline Series models available from Japan.
   They do have a lot of line drawings and other info for the
   curious armchair admiral.

   Unfortunately it's no substitute for Jentschura et al., _Warships
   of the Imperial Japanese Navy_, but it's handy and functional.

You never know we might uncover the net equivalent of hidden treasure. I'd
get the ball rolling myself but I can't decide which site to choose.

   Sluggy Freelance is always a winner, IMHO, and usually not
   prone to offend anyone (unlike a few of the more opinionated
   or tasteless[1] sites I occasionally check in with).

   best

   Lindsay

   [1] Tasteless is used loosely here, not in its alt.tasteless sense.
       Just off-colour humour and the occasional swear word (or very
       uncomfortable truth).