 Off-Topic / Debate / 6019
Re: This will get someone upset...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:03:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Marc Cook writes:
I've noticed a few people like posting their signature files
on Lugnet or a "signature" like saluation.   I think degree
posting a quote, or a link to your lego pages is fine.

What I really see as bragging and I feel is really annoying is posting
your title or position at your company on Lugnet posts.

I've read your post a couple of times, and I am frankly baffled.  Why
does this annoy you so much?  It's a couple of lines at the end of a post
that are incredibly easy to ignore.

I mean I could give a rat's butt what you do for a living. Is this
necessary?  Am I missing something?  Is there a reason for this?

Some people post to more places than LUGNET.  They may not want to change
their .sig files every time they switch between LUGNET and another news
server.

Perhaps people worked hard in life to earn "sr administrator" or
"Network Engineer" and like to post it to show their status in life.
But really it looks down right ridiculous.  Unless a persons title
at their company is in some way associated to their post it really
should be banned.

I think that is completely ridiculous.  Is having someone's position in a
.sig file detrimental to LUGENT as a whole?  No.  So there's no reason to
take up Todd's time and effort in banning something as silly as this.

I already said that I really doubt Lugnet would agree with me enough
to do anything about it.

If you work for a hot company or hold a cool
position it won't make me think less or more of you.  If you post
it at the end of your Lugnet posts I'll think less.  I'm sure
there are others that agree with my view.

I don't.  I personally don't care one way or another.  If someone posted
their entire resume into a .sig file, that could get annoying, but if it
sticks to the long-accepted USENET standard of ~4 lines, then it doesn't
take up too much space, it's not annoying to delete in a reply, etc. - in
short, there's no reason not to allow it.

You're missing my point.  I mentioned the part of signature files
that really are uneccesary --- posting your job title and position.

signature files that have a quote that you like, or links to
your lego site is fine

- Marc