 Off-Topic / Debate / 27849
Re: Newdow in the News (again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:38:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   Note - I agree that the phrase should go. Secular it AIN’T. Twist your “logic” any way you want, but it’s not secular, it’s religious, and it’s holding up one religion (monotheism) over another (polytheism, atheism).

It is acknowledging the religious history of this country without necessarily endorsing it. We are a nation of religious people. So what? It’s not forcing you to do anything or believe anything. If there is no force or coercion behind the language, where exactly is the harm?

I’m sorry if you feel like an outsider as an atheist in a religious country, but the fact is that you have, by your own choice, placed yourself in the vast minority. But your rights are still intact.

Ding! I think I see the problem.

It’s a mistake to frame this as an issue of whether any person’s rights are or are not compromised by the presence of a religious invocation on US currency. Instead, the issue should be identified as the unconstitutional over-reaching of Federal power. Namely, by endorsing a religious invocation, the Federal government is acting far outside of its authority, just if it had established a law forbidding Protestants to associate freely or a law barring honest citizens from bearing arms.

See? It’s not a matter of personal religious freedom or whether some group is or isn’t a minority. The issue comes down to the most basic question of conservative political philosophy--how much power should the Federal government be permitted to wield in excess of the powers explicitly enumerated by the Constitution?

You’ve mentioned several times that the phrase “in God we trust” is an acknowledgement of the history of our religious nation. But if we were instead to begin minting coins that proclaimed “there is no personal, interested god” in accordance with the Deism of several of the Founding Fathers, would you accept it as an equally valid acknowlegement of the religious beliefs that shaped our nation’s history?

Why, or why not?

Dave!