 Off-Topic / Debate / 27837
Re: Newdow in the News (again)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:31:22 GMT

   Little rules I live by... #13

13. “If you can’t even get the 9th circuit to go along with your kooky agenda, then you are really kooky.”

Oh where is the cacaphony of criticism from the Creedless? :-)

Well, I guess I just wonder why Christians don’t get upset at this widespread violation of the 2nd Commandment. I mean, if the phrase is “secular in nature and in use,” then that’s a pretty serious dilution of the Big Guy’s name, isn’t it?

But your interesting angle only answers the question, because it is not the intention of Christians to turn the US into a theocracy, Dave! Look, this nation was founded by people who sought religious freedom, to be free to worship their God in any way they saw fit (or not to have to worship at all, for that matter).

It’s all about the freedom. Yeah, the country was founded by religious people, but they didn’t care if you practiced their religion or not, and they were determined to make sure that the government certainly didn’t have a say in the matter, either. So, Newdow can whine all he wants, but in the end, there is no evidence of coercion by the government making him (or anyone) worship or think in any particular way or not.

I like the phrase “In God We Trust”, because it is direct notice to the government that it is not the ultimate arbiter of Truth or law. There is a higher law and power to which even the government is accountable. IGWT never actually defines this power, but simply asserts that governments answer to a high authority.

I happen to like the idea of “secularing the nature and use” of the term “God”. God is as much an idea and a concept as much as he is an old man with a long, white beard;-) I firmly believe that the concept of “God” and the concept of “freedom” are inexorably linked. And this IMO explains the success of our system above all others.

   And now, a confession: every single time that I type “Christian,” I come very close to typing “Christina.”

For me, it’s “eggnogstic” :-)

JOHN