 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2107
2106  |  2108
Subject:
Forthcoming MEGABLOKS ventures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:44:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

According to http://www.megabloks.com, there’s an animated DVD slated for Fall
2004 based on the Dragons product line.  I watched the trailer without sound
(due to workplace constraints), and the CGI looked to be on par with most other
stuff I’ve seen (which is admittedly not an exhaustive sampling).

The basic premise involves two warring factions who are forced to unite against
a common enemy.  If the trailer is any indication of products to come, we can
expect at least several new Dragons warrior figures, including a helmet-less
male and female.  I wonder, now that I really think about it, why MEGABLOKS
hasn’t previously included any female characters in its recent series of
better-detailed minifigs (and why are all of the characters causasian?)

I’m of several minds when it comes to such product-driven film projects.
Obviously, the whole venture is intended as an hour long (or longer) commercial,
so considerations of plot and intrigue are usually very secondary.
Additionally, film projects seem like a massive expense and an equally massive
gamble; is it wise for a company to invest so much money in an undertaking that
has so recently proven damaging to TLG’s bottom line?  On the other hand, the
Dragons line isn’t inherently awful, unlike Galidor or (IMO) Bionicle, so maybe
there’s a chance that I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

In other news, the MEGABLOKS website has been updated to include summary detail
of some of the new Probuilder kits, as well as new TMNT stuff.  No word on any
Star Trek license deals, but it’s probably too early to reveal any details, if
there are any as yet!

Dave!