 MediaWatch / 425
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:06:25 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, John P. Henderson writes:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
»Minifigs having sex and going to gay bars is not a part of
Lego's values«

Ug.  I was trying to read through all the posts on this thread, but I
started getting a bad taste in my mouth.  I want to go back and get the good
feeling that Brad's posts have given me in the Lego Direct newsgroup...

As far as the legality of things, I think TLC can only hit violations of any
trademarks.  I like to think of the bricks as just a medium for art and
such.  It is the clay of sculpting, the oils of painting, and the scrap
metal of welding art.  Of course, the lawyers might say otherwise.  They
might say that all elements have the LEGO logo on their studs, making them
trademarked property.  But if they go to that extreme, then each and every
one of us would have to pay royalties to post any MOC online, and they won't
do that because our doing so promotes their toy if anything.

As far as questionable values, well okay certain issues of sexuality should
be subjects that are monitored by parents.  That's not my decision to make.
I think it is funny though, seeing mini-figs doing adult things.  Even the
Brick Testament has that somewhat.  However, that site also makes a point of
rating the pics before you view them.  I think that is what all such sites
should consider.  If a child (or an offendable adult) goes searching the
internet for sites with the word "Lego", they should be warned about the
content of anything questionable.  ...The same thing happens if you do a
search for "photography"...

But to what extreme can we complain about depicting adult activities with
Lego?  Where I live, only adults can drive cars.  Do we outlaw mini-figs in
mini-cars?  Only adults can own guns.  Do we remove guns from the toys?

At a recent NELUG meeting, I showcased a little MOC of a local working class
bar ("Jinx's Pub").  If I posted an image of that would TLC tell me not to?
The interior clearly shows blue collar workers drinking alcoholic beverages.
Not only would some people consider that not appropriate for children, but
others might also be offended by the stereotypes implied by the depiction of
"white trash types" (including one guy with a cowboy hat).  Is my MOC
inappropriate?

...And that doesn't even call into question the trademark labels I plastered
all over the windows (Corona, Miller Lite, Budweiser, etc.)... But maybe
that would pass as free advertising...

A final note, and this is my attempt to bring humor into this conversation:
Of course some mini-figs would be homosexual; afterall, the ratio of females
to males is rather ugly...  <smirk>

-Hendo

Good Post. As a parent, I am diligent in censoring inappropriate material.
As an individual, I am diligent in protecting free speech. There is a
delicate balancing line here. I just hope I do the right thing for my
children. That is my priority.