 MediaWatch / 426
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 01:57:02 GMT

The scariest part of this whole announcement to me - and something that very
few people in this discussion have touched upon - is that for the first
time, The Lego Company is telling us what we can or cannot build with Lego!
Think about this! Modern military equipment is (supposedly) not part of
their "values" either, so what if one day they decide to shut down
lugnet.build.military? Or tell us that we can build such things, we just
can't display pictures of them publicly?

The Lego Company is treading a very fine line here. LEGO is of course
primarily a children's toy, and they want to keep their wholesome image, but
on the other hand, Lego is also a medium for creative expression. It's quite
unprecendented for the creator of a medium to impose censorship on what is
created with this medium. (Just imagine a paint company suing a painter
because they didn't like her paintings).

Basically, this is a free speech issue, made somewhat more complicated by
the fact that trademark issues are involved. But the thing with free speech
is that as long as it's the free speech of people you don't agree with that
is being blocked, you tend not to do anything. Only when *your* free speech
is taken away do you realize you should have probably acted sooner...

-- Marc

In lugnet.mediawatch, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
News from the Danish Broadcasting Corporation yesterday:

http://www1.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/article.jhtml?articleID=46165

(my translations)

»Minifigs having sex and going to gay bars is not a part of
Lego's values«