 MediaWatch / 408
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:33:00 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, William R. Ward writes:
"John" <johnneal@qwest.net> writes:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Jason Rowoldt writes:
First, it looks like the discussion here has dengenerated into a
gay/anti-gay or rather freedom of gender/sexual orientation portrayal of
minifigs.  I'll try to stay away from that whole topic and focus more on the
relavant issue at hand, which is really at the core of this group and what
we are.

No, to me the issue at hand is the lack of responsibility and common sense on
your part.  Creating "adult" movies out of LEGO MFs is just plain stupid and
tasteless.

The phrase "adult movies" has become a euphemism for pornography, but
I believe Jason meant it in the sense of "movies targeted at adults",
which is what most of the films you see in theatres are.  Adult
characters, themes, situations - not pornography.  It was an
unfortunate choice of words.

Well, I hear about MFs being depicted as gay.  How else can one know the sexual
orientation of a MF unless one sees that MF engaging in sexual activity.
Depictions of sex is the definition of pornography.

To me, LEGO bricks are a hobby.  They are a really fun thing to collect and
to to build with for many of us.  I know that some of us have started
reselling LEGO bricks via Brickbay, some of us have done commissioned works
for LEGO sculptures, and some of us have made movies.  I'm one of the ones
that makes movies.

Oh, really Jason?  Are all LEGO hobbies that equal?  I sell bricks
on Brickbay, you display LEGO porn-- sorry, I don't buy it.

If you go to the theatre and see a movie that includes a love scene
where two characters are having sex, do you call that a porn film?

If it were just one or two scenes, I would call it a film (probably lousy,
because any film maker who felt the need to include such scenes is a money-
grubbing hack with no artistic integrity IMO) with gratuitous sex.  If the film
were about sex and portrays sex in every scene or so, then yes, I'd call it
pornographic.
wouldn't.  It might be "R" rated, but it isn't porn.  That's the type
of film that Jason is defending, not a XXX explicit pornographic film.

I am concerned about the whole *idea* of portraying MFs in adult situations when
it is easily accessed by children.  Frankly, I don't care what he does with his
MFs in the privacy of his own house, but I have a big problem with him or anyone
else for that matter making this "art" freely accessable on the net.  As I
mentioned before, let him utilize an adult ID check if he feels he cannot
compromise his "artistic integrity" -- in that event, I wouldn't have a problem
with it.  Otherwise, he is a merely yet another slimeball who uses the First
Amendment to cover for is own irresponsible behavior.

-John

--Bill.