 MediaWatch / 398
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:01:05 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, William R. Ward writes:
"David \"Fuzzy\" Gregory" <david.gregory@student.oc.edu> writes:

There is nothing wrong with making gay minifigs, any more than there
is with making heterosexual minifigs.  Sexual content may be
inappropriate for kids, but a pair of gay minifigs doing non-sexual
things (like simply living together, or raising an adopted minifig
kid, etc.) is perfectly appropriate for people of all ages.

It's bad enough that there is such a lack of racial and gender
diversity among minifigs, we don't have to compound that by
discriminating by sexual orientation as well!

--Bill.

I disagree.  To me, the Lego minifig as always been aracial.  Yes, it tends
to have the physical characteristics of a caucasian, but it is not hard to
take the same skin tone and change the features and come up with a black
guy. (I think this has already been talked about in relation to Lando
Calrisian from Star Wars).  The original smiley minifig had no ethnicity
whatsoever, and it was only as features were added to him that he became
more caucasian. Lego could very easily (they probably already have) create a
black or asian fig with the yellow head.

Similarly, minifigs have always been asexual in my mind.  A pair of
minifigs, man-man or man-woman, should never be regarded as a sexual couple.
To my (*extremely* limited) knowledge, Lego has never produced an expressly
heterosexual couple in a set.  I don't see why they should introduce a
homosexual couple since it brings up all these issues that should not be
related to the Lego brick.

Equal rights not special rights.

-Ross