 MediaWatch / 380
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:53:48 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Brendan Powell Smith writes:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
News from the Danish Broadcasting Corporation yesterday:
»Minifigs having sex and going to gay bars is not a part of
Lego's values«

...but arming minifigs with pistols, rifles, crossbows, bows and arrows,
swords, knives, spears, lances, dynamite, and other implements of
destructions which in real life cause horrible pain and misery is apparently
in-line with their value system.  Glad they have their priorities straight.

I think they do, and I think your analogy is unfair.  One could argue that
tyranny, evil, and oppression are unavoidable in this world-- to defend against
such is both honorable and necessary.  To me, *that* is where TLC focuses their
attention in their "conflict" themes-- to *defending good against evil*.  There
is nothing wrong with that.

There is something very wrong with portraying MF in the above manner in question
(and something *very* wrong with whomever did it).  I am all for freedom, but
with freedom comes *responsibility*.  What has been done is irresponsible and I
understand TLC desire to disassociate itself from it (whether they will be
successful or just add fuel to these sicko's fire is debatable).

Society has a vested interest in protecting its youth from such destructive
elements (and people). Violence much be eshewed as well, but there is a fine
line WRT teaching children about good and evil.  There is no such line when it
comes to the topic of sex and children.  The very definition of a child is one
who hasn't knowledge of such things, and presenting it to them forces their
childhood from them, which is, in my mind, evil.

-John

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith