 MediaWatch / 379
Re: The Lego Group will attempt to stop some "brickfilms"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:09:36 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Eduardo Vazquez Harte writes:
Fuck u all gay fucks I hope those animations are deleted or else...

I am disheartened by both TLC's attitude toward how people use their products
and this reaction from LUGNET (so much for a family newsgroup, eh).

If TLC is sucessful in their pursuit to remove objectionable films made with
their products, I think we can safetly surmise that the assumption that we have
been living under (that Lego is a medium through which we can express our
creativity) is false.  I guess TLC can claim that the minifig is their
trademark...or tradedress, or whatever it is....and as such anything that
includes these elements of plastic reflects on them.  Which means that anything
that we build with minifigs, and maybe other elements that TLC considers
representative of the LEGO brand is up for their scrutiny and
approval/rejection.  It's a sad day...

My values are different from TLC's; however, I respect them for trying to
express their values my making an excellent product for children's creativity
and development.  Is this moralizing about the uses their product is put to by
adults, for adults part of their value system?  I thought not...but I guess I
was wrong.

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@hotmail.com