 MediaWatch / 2160
2159  |  2161
Subject:
Drugs are Like That - 70's Educational Film Featuring LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:49:52 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Back in the 1970’s, an anti-drug film was created – in cooperation with the fine folks at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting – that was titled “Drugs are Like That” and extensively featured LEGO building toys. The film took earlier Public Service Announcements and framed them with scenes of two young children building a monstrous LEGO creation while discussing the various arguments against the use of drugs (there being none for their use, of course). The LEGO construction actually ends up being a mechanical metaphor for the dangers that come with tinkering with your mental stability and physical wellbeing by experimenting with dangerous chemical substances.

What’s completely glossed over by this piece though, is the fact that addiction to small interlocking bits of plastic can be just as bad – if not worse – as being “hooked” on any drug. Here at LUGNET however, I’m sure that connection will be immediately made and requires no further explanation.

I have loaded a version of “Drugs are Like That” to my channel on YouTube. You can watch this video using the following link:

Drugs Are Like That - YouTube Presentation

In order to ensure that the clip was not rejected as too long, the credits (which are a must-see for the title song that’s included) were uploaded as separate file:

Drugs Are Like That CREDITS - YouTube Presentation

The various PSA’s were removed from this version of “Drugs are Like That” since they only serve to illustrate the obvious points being made by the kids, make the film twice as long as the edited version and of course have nothing to do with LEGO. However, if you’re interested, the full length version of this film is available from the following Archive.org location:

Drugs are Like That - Full Archive Version

Hope someone gets at least a little entertainment from this – I sure did.

P.S. Posted to General because everyone needs to be aware of these dangers. Follow-ups to MediaWatch only please.