 Marketplace / Shopping / 6607
6606  |  6608
Subject:
Bulk Brick sales at LEGOLAND
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:49:46 GMT

I wanted to post this a long time ago already, but wasn't able to upload the
pictures ... until now.

There have been a few people who've mentioned it, but bulk bricks are
available to be bought at LEGOLAND California.  They are being sold in front
of the Model Shop (near Miniland).  Here's some pictures of the bins:

The types available are as follows:

at $6.99 per quarter pound:
1x12 Yellow
2x2  Tan
2x2  Black Tiles (like S@H)
2x3  Orange
2x4  Orange
2x4  Brown

at $8.99 per quarter pound:
2x10 Orange
2x8  Tan
2x10 Yellow

One thing I don't understand is the price differentiation of the pieces.
The prices are marked in quarter pounds, some at $6.99 and others at $8.99
per 1/4lb.  Why is there such a difference?  ABS plastic costs the same per
pound no matter what brick is being made.  Perhaps it's because the larger
bricks can't be made as fast (smaller bricks can be made several at a time
in a mold, larger bricks perhaps only singly?) or perhaps its that the
storage requirements are greater?  It doesn't make much sense to me either way.

Anyway, it seems LEGOLAND is concentrating on bricks not available through
S@H (except for the black 2x2 tiles).  I wonder whether this is their
intention - to purposely offer bricks not available through S@H?  If so,
will they drop them as S@H expands their offerings?  In any case, I hope
they add more bricks to their selection.

--
  David Schilling