 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 518
517  |  519
Subject:
Jambalaya FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:43:58 GMT

Hi!  we've got some new people, so I though I'd post this info again...

COME JOIN THE JUMBLE!

1. What is a jambalaya box?

A jambalaya box is a collection of LEGO® elements.  It is sent through
the mail to different people.  Each person takes out some pieces that
they would like, and replaces them with pieces that others may like.

As set forth in the lugnet.market.jambalaya charter/purpose...
lugnet.market.jambalaya  (group):
    Discussion and planning for organized exchanges of "jambalaya"
    boxes (diverse mixtures of new or used LEGO® elements, under the
    theory that one person's trash is another person's treasure).

2. Where does the word "jambalaya" come from?

Here's what Merriam-Webster online <http://www.m-w.com/> says:

   Main Entry: jam·ba·laya
   Pronunciation: "j&m-b&-'lI-&
   Function: noun
   Etymology: Louisiana French, from Provençal jambalaia
   Date: 1872
   1 : rice cooked usually with ham, sausage, chicken, shrimp, or
       oysters and seasoned with herbs
   2 : a mixture of diverse elements  <curious jambalayas of competing
       elements -- Neil Hickey>

We are aiming for definition #2 here.  No rice or meat please!

3.  What are the rules for taking pieces out?

The rules are few. Basically, we want to keep a good fun mix going.
Everyone should try to increase the value, diversity and uniqueness
of the pieces in each box.  We want the box to be thrilling when you
open it.  A recipient must pledge to be true to the spirit of
Jambalaya.  Also, try to get the box moving quickly on to the next
person in the list.

4.  How do I sign up for the box?

Go to lugnet.market.jambalaya.  Find a thread that reads
"General Box #1 thread"  or "Technic Box #1"  or something similar.
Reply to the ORIGINAL message with your desire to receive the box and
your e-mail address.  You will then be added to the list in order.
You can view the list at:

http://home.att.net/~mookie1/jambalaya.html

When the person on the list in front of you is ready to send the box,
they will e-mail you for your street address.  (This is for your
protection).   You get the box, exchange your pieces, email the next
person on the list and away it goes!  Please use common sense when
mailing the boxes.  We don't want to lose or destroy their precious
cargo.

5.  What if I don't live in the U.S.?

If you live in Canada, please see the "Canadian Jambalaya" thread.
Canadains can sign up like the everyone else, however, the box won't
be sent to Canada until 5 or more Canadians sign up.  This will save
postage and expensive country to country transfers.  Additional
details can be found in lugnet.market.jambalaya.
Also, shipments across recognized national borders must be sent via
Fed Ex, UPS, DHL, Airbone Express, or a local equivalent, using
economy air transport mode. Again, this is for safety.  We don't want
a lost box.

If you live in another country, please read/write to
lugnet.market.jambalaya.  If the interest exists, it may be possible
to arrange for one, or start your own.

6.  What If I have a question this post doesn't answer?

Its simple.  Ask your question in lugnet.market.jambalaya and all will
be made well.