 Marketplace / Auctions / 10232
Re: FA: eBay - Minifigs, mostly Castle (follow up on weirdness)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:40:53 GMT

I got this too.... and a reminder 24 hours later.... I just assumed it was e-mail harvesting. ;)

In lugnet.market.auction, Cary Clark wrote:
   In lugnet.market.auction, Alan Findlay wrote: ...
   About an hour after posting my auction announcement (see above) the following email appeared in my inbox: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Subject: RE: FA: eBay - Minifigs, mostly Castle (confirm please)

the.pikes@ntlworld.com here,

I am controlling the email that is sent to my inbox. By asking for you to confirm that you really sent email to me I can ensure that I receive no spam
... There’s several services now in effect that block e-mail that is computer generated (aka spam) as opposed to human generated. The way these services work is they reply to all incoming messages similarly to what you received. The website that you visit usually displays a graphic containing a series of numbers or letters that you must type. The intent is that a robot would be unable to recognize the characters in the graphic, and therefore unable to automatically bypass this authentication.