 Local / United States / Virginia / Arlington / (-20)
Subject:
Wamalug Dinner gaterhing Wednesday Night
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:26:46 GMT

Hi All,
I know this is short notice... but WAMALUG would like to invite you to join us
for a little dinner gathering in Arlington, VA.

where:
http://www.hardtimes.com/clarendon.htm
HARD TIMES CAFE
C L A R E N D O N
3028 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, Virginia 22314, (703) 528-2233

When: 6:00pm
Free parking at 3033 Wilson Blvd.
or Metro, Clarendon Stop, Orange line (less than 1 block)

MOC's are welcome
and we'll be talking about all things LEGO and other..

hope to see you there..

RSVP is appreciated I'd like to be sure we have seating for everyone.

Christina Hitchcock
WAMALUG

Subject:
WAMALUG dinner gathering - Sept. 22nd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.loc.us.va
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:49:50 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

WAMALUG would like to invite you to participate in an AFOL Dinner gathering
@ SoBe Seafood Company
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-3007675-sobe_seafood_company_arlington-i

Date: Wednesday, September 22, 2004
Time: 6:00PM - 9:00PM EDT (GMT-04:00)

SoBe Seafood is conveniently located in Arlington, VA
3100 Clarendon Blvd., off the street and "IN THE COURTYARD"
Click below to get directions or call (703) 528-0033

Free parking at 3033 Wilson Blvd.
Metro, Clarendon Stop, Orange line (less than 1 block)

MOC's are encouraged and welcome.
and we'll be talking about the October 2nd Fall for a Fairfax display and event
too!

hope to see you there..

RSVP is appreciated, not required, but I'd like to be sure we have seating for
everyone. chitchco@gmu[dot]edu

Christina Hitchcock
WAMALUG

Subject:
WAMALUG May Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.trains.org.wamaltc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.loc.us.va.ric, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.dc
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 13:29:51 GMT

Date: Saturday, May 8, 2003 Time: 12:00PM - 5:00PM
Location: GMU Arlington Campus
3401 North Fairfax Drive
Arlington, Virginia 22201
Room: 115

If you're in the area and you have a chance just stop in, join us!

What to expect?
Show and tell of MOCs
Items picked up at the Pick A Brick.
News from the LEGO outlet
Possibly some medieval creations
Mindstorms
Bring stuff to traid and or sell.

The meeting will be in the Arlington Original building
http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Christina Hitchcock
WAMALUG

Subject:
WAMALUG July Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.loc.us.dc
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 19:22:35 GMT

Date: Saturday, July 12, 2003 Time: 12:00PM - 5:00PM
Location: GMU Arlington Campus
3401 North Fairfax Drive
Arlington, Virginia 22201
Room: 253
If you're in the area and you have a chance just stop in, join us!

LEGO discussion
Show and Tell and other stuff

The meeting will be in the Arlington Original building
(http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Christina Hitchcock
WAMALUG

Subject:
WAMALUG May Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.loc.us.dc
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 00:29:36 GMT

Date: Saturday, May 10, 2003 Time: 12:00PM - 5:00PM
Location: GMU Arlington Campus
3401 North Fairfax Drive
Arlington, Virginia 22201
Room: 257
If you're in the area and you have a chance just stop in, join us!

Take the Metro if you can as parking will be a little bit tighter then usual.

LEGO Discussion,
Show and Tell and other stuff

The meeting will be in the Arlington Original building
(http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Christina Hitchcock
WAMALUG

Subject:
WAMALUG April meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.dc
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 21:12:43 GMT

Date: Sunday, April 13, 2003
Time: 12:00PM - 5:00PM

Location: GMU Arlington Campus
3401 North Fairfax Drive Arlington, Virginia 22201

Room: 257

If you're in the area and you have a chance just stop in, join
us!

  LEGO Discussion, Show and Tell, games(Brikwars/mideval), trading and other
stuff.

The meeting will be in the Arlington Original building (
http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Christina Hitchcock
WAMALUG

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 20:57:49 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
A question for folks in there area...

And a follow-up question...

I asked the WMATA RideGuide what's the best way for me to get from my hotel
to the GMU Arlington campus and it said this:

  Take ORANGE LINE Towards VIENNA/FAIRFAX -GMU
  Depart:  ROSSLYN METRO STATION  At 09:05 AM
  Arrive:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:13 AM

  Take 24M PENTAGON
  Depart:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:50 AM
  Arrive:  WILSON BV & KENMORE ST  At 09:55 AM

  Walk 0.09 miles NW to GEORGE MASON UNIVARL
      Walk 1 block NW on N KENMORE ST.

Does that sound correct?

No... the Virginia Square station is a better choice... when you surface
(there is a bit of construction that makes you go to the S a bit I think)
loop around to Fairfax and go to the right (east I think)... it's on your
left immediately after you pass the FDIC building.

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:05:11 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <todd@lugnet.com> writes:
My flight is supposed to get in at 10:06pm tonight at BWI.  The WMATA
website's (awesome) RideGuide feature says I should do the following to
get to my hotel (the Key Bridge Marriott): • [...]
[1] http://rideguide.wmata.com/index.html
Oh my if Boston only had a MBTA site this good!

That reminds me a lot of the Deutsche Bahn web site (http://www.bahn.de)
which I used to plan a lot of my travels while in Germany last summer.

Imagine a site for an entire *country* that good.  Including not only
the national train lines but also local buses as well...

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:29:31 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
A question for folks in there area...

My flight is supposed to get in at 10:06pm tonight at BWI.  The WMATA
website's (awesome) RideGuide feature says I should do the following to
get to my hotel (the Key Bridge Marriott):

  Take B30 GREENBELT STATION
  Depart:  BWI AIRPORT BUS STOP @PIER E LOWER LEVEL   At 10:20 PM
  Arrive:  GREENBELT METRO STATION  At 10:49 PM

  Take GREEN LINE Towards BRANCH AVE
  Depart:  GREENBELT METRO STATION   At 11:10 PM
  Arrive:  L'ENFANT PLAZA METRO STATION  At 11:38 PM

  Take BLUE LINE Towards FRANCONIA
  Depart:  L'ENFANT PLAZA METRO STATION  At 11:48 PM
  Arrive:  ROSSLYN METRO STATION  At 12:00 AM

  Walk 0.25 miles NW to MARRIOTT KEY BRIDGES
     Walk 2 blocks N on N MOORE ST.
     Turn left on LEE HWY.
     Walk 1 block W on LEE HWY.

And for the return trip on Sunday, it says if I want to get to BWI around
6:30pm (flight leaves 8:45), I should leave Rosslyn Metro Station at 5:03pm.

Does that sound about correct?  Is it allowing enough time?

--Todd

[1] http://rideguide.wmata.com/index.html
Oh my if Boston only had a MBTA site this good!

Sounds to me like it is cutting it extremely fine. On a Thursday evening, this
plan might very well have you catching the absolutely last Blue Line headed in
that direction, and it depends on you catching the shuttle 14 minutes after
arrival at BWI! But the site knows the scheduling of trains better than I do.
Especially on a weekend there can be 20 minutes before trains, though.

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:23:42 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
A question for folks in there area...

And a follow-up question...

I asked the WMATA RideGuide what's the best way for me to get from my hotel
to the GMU Arlington campus and it said this:

  Take ORANGE LINE Towards VIENNA/FAIRFAX -GMU
  Depart:  ROSSLYN METRO STATION  At 09:05 AM
  Arrive:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:13 AM

The Virginia Square station, one stop short of Ballston heading west, is one
block west of the BrickFest location and is already along Fairfax Drive.

  Take 24M PENTAGON
  Depart:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:50 AM
  Arrive:  WILSON BV & KENMORE ST  At 09:55 AM

  Walk 0.09 miles NW to GEORGE MASON UNIVARL
      Walk 1 block NW on N KENMORE ST.

Does that sound correct?

Also, is the 3401 North Fairfax Drive address shown here:

  http://www.brickfest.com/hotel_info.htm

is that where to go once at GMU?  And then we go up to the second/third
floors?

Fairfax Drive is already at the level of the second floor. There is a sidewalk
and a ramp connecting Fairfax Drive and the entrances on the second floor. As
pointed out on the floor plan available at the BrickFest site :( See an earlier
post from a coordinator making use of my photograph of the exterior of the
former Kann's department store that GMU occupies to make absolutely sure of the
identification.

Thanks,
--Todd

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:42:28 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
A question for folks in there area...

And a follow-up question...

I asked the WMATA RideGuide what's the best way for me to get from my hotel
to the GMU Arlington campus and it said this:

  Take ORANGE LINE Towards VIENNA/FAIRFAX -GMU
  Depart:  ROSSLYN METRO STATION  At 09:05 AM
  Arrive:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:13 AM

  Take 24M PENTAGON
  Depart:  BALLSTON METRO  At 09:50 AM
  Arrive:  WILSON BV & KENMORE ST  At 09:55 AM

  Walk 0.09 miles NW to GEORGE MASON UNIVARL
      Walk 1 block NW on N KENMORE ST.

Does that sound correct?

not really - when we took the metro to WAMALUG meetings, we never had to
take a bus.  I don't remember offhand what stop we took, but I think it was
on the orange line...  Maybe ballston metro?  it was only a block or two away.

Dan

Re: From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:32:50 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:24:08 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
[1] http://rideguide.wmata.com/index.html
Oh my if Boston only had a MBTA site this good!

no kidding!  it was one of the first things I missed when I moved here.
RideGuide rocks! :)

FUT Geeking

Subject:
From BWI to hotel on the WMATA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:19:03 GMT

[...]

BrickFest: Roommate matching needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:13:52 GMT

I've got a place to stay, but I've noticed a number of other people who aren't
sure whether they can make it due to the cost -- or who are sure they're going
but would really like to find a way to keep costs down.

Does anyone out there have a hotel room and wish to split the cost with
another AFOL?  Let's hear from you!

Are there people in the DC/Arlington area who are willing to put fellow AFOLs
up for the night?  Let's hear from you!

I looked around on the BrickFest website but didn't find a "roommate matching
board" or anything like that.  I seem to recall one from last year, but maybe
I'm just imagining that.  Anyway, it seems like if someone from out of town
could stay with someone in the area, they'd be more than happy to do their own
laundry, cook dinner, etc.  Seems like a win-win -- if only we can match
people up.

--Todd

p.s.  I found a place to stay by responding to a post that someone had posted
in lugnet.events.brickfest.  Try it, it works!

[followups to lugnet.events.brickfest]

Subject:
WAMALUG meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.dc
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:41:45 GMT

Sunday, January 13th
Location: GMU Arlington Campus
Room: 257
Time: 12:00 p.m. - 5:00+ p.m.

What to expect:
Just a little bit of everything
RCX
Trains
trading and other stuff

the last meeting:
http://www.wamalug.org/meetings/meeting_01_12_9.htm

Directions
http://www.brickfest.com/directionshotelinfo.htm

The meeting will be in the Arlington Original building (same place as
brickfest)
http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Christina

p.s.
Sorry for the short notice

Subject:
WAMALUG Meeting November 11th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.md.bal, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:38:39 GMT

Sunday, November 11th
Location: GMU Arlington Campus : Metro,  Virginia Square, on the orange
line.
Room: 257
Time: 1:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

And/or join some of us at Union Station this weekend for the LEGO Harry
Potter event.

If you're in the area and you have a chance just stop in, join us!

Agenda:
Discussion
Show and Tell
brik wars
trading and stuff

Pictures from the last meeting:
http://www.wamalug.org/meetings/meeting_10_14_01.htm

Directions
http://www.brickfest.com/directionshotelinfo.htm

The meeting will be in the Arlington Original building (same place as
brickfest)
http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Christina

WAMALUG Meeting: October 14th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.org.us.wamalug, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.loc.us.md
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:20:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Sunday, October 14th
Location: GMU Arlington Campus : Metro,  Virginia Square, on the orange line.
Room: 257
Time: 1:00-5:00

If you're in the area and you have a chance just stop in.

Agenda:
Show and tell
trading LEGO brick and ideas
general discussion

the D C metro will be free on the 13th and 14th
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8309-2001Oct4.html

there is also Free parking on campus.

Directions
http://www.brickfest.com/directionshotelinfo.htm

The meeting will be in the Arlington Original building (same place as
brickfest)
http://coyote.gmu.edu/map/arling.html

Christina Hitchcock

Re: Going to DC, where to stay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 23:38:08 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.va, Stephen F. Roberts writes:

...Most of us will be up in Chantilly next weekend for the Greenberg Toy and
Train show at the Capital Expo Center
(http://www.greenbergshows.com/greenberg.html$/shows/info.html). If you get a
chance, you should stop by (maybe a 30-45 min drive from the mills).

In checking, the Greenburg event is actually the 18th, and we will be there
this weekend (10-12)  I may have to consider a 2nd trip just for the show
(again, Woodbridge is only 5 hrs driving time).  Wife is working that
weekend, so I am sure I could con my Dad (both of us are TCA members, and
avid Lionel nuts)into going.  If so, I will defintely look everyone up, and
maybe bring a couple of the Woodchuck trucks up there, too :o)!

...Just hide the money when you get to The Store the first time! It can be an
overwhelming experience at first and we don't need you hemorrhaging your life
savings in the first 10 minutes :-)

Mistake #1.   Never let better half read posts on Lugnet.  As we speak, she
is contemplating confiscating all credit cards, check books, and any large
bills in the wallet prior to Lego Outlet.

Mistake #2.   She didnt find the check card  :o)  >heh heh heh<

I see very large FILLED white Lego bags in the very near future.  We'll see
how much a Honda CR-V's cargo area will hold.

Rodney Gentry
Woodchuck County Fire and Rescue
http://members.aol.com/whstlpig05/Woodchuckmain.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Whistlepig

Re: Going to DC, where to stay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.va.arl, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 19:08:37 GMT

"Rodney Gentry" <Whstlpig05@aol.com> wrote:

Anyone know of a decent (Yet affordable) hotel in the DC area.  Specifically
in the area of Potomac Mills Mall  :o)  Coming up for the weekend from
Roanoke (around 5 hour drive) with a large lego budget and lots of time to
spend in the outlet store (...and with the permission from the wife) and
wondered if anyone had any suggestions.  That, and how is the traffic around
5 or 6pm on fridays (I'm scared to ask).

...I don't know of any specific hotels and stuff, Check Yahoo for city info for
Dale City, Potomac Mills and Woodbridge Va. I'm sure there's lots of tourist
pages for the area, seeing as Potomac mills is the #1 tourist destination in
Virginia (scary, if you ask me...:-/

...As for traffic, you should be going against traffic at 6pmish on Friday, but
it will still be bad... You take your life into your own hands :-)

If anyone should be in the area, I would happily bring creations  :o)
(Mostly town/fire related)

...Most of us will be up in Chantilly next weekend for the Greenberg Toy and
Train show at the Capital Expo Center
(http://www.greenbergshows.com/greenberg.html$/shows/info.html). If you get a
chance, you should stop by (maybe a 30-45 min drive from the mills).

Looking forward to the trip......

...Just hide the money when you get to The Store the first time! It can be an
overwhelming experience at first and we don't need you hemorrhaging your life
savings in the first 10 minutes :-)

Rodney Gentry
Woodchuck County Fire and Rescue
http://members.aol.com/whstlpig05/Woodchuckmain.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Whistlepig

---
wubwub
wubwub@wildlink.com
jains.has.it        <-- Jain's Guide
www.sitcatsit.com   <-- a guy and his cat
www.wildlink.com    <-- the wildlinks

Start planning for BrickFest 2002!
The AFOL Community's Premier Fan Run Event!
www.brickfest.com

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact