 Local / United States / Texas / *556 (-5)
Subject:
NXT Inventor's Guide Book Signing in Austin, TX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.tx
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:17:11 GMT

On Saturday, April 19th, I’m having a book signing at a Barnes & Noble in Austin, Texas for my book The Unofficial LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Inventor’s Guide (No Starch Press, 2007). The signing will begin at 2PM, and I’ll be bringing two robots with me to the event: Tag-Bot (shown on front cover of book) and also “Spike” from the NXT set.

Following is the address of the Barnes & Noble where the book signing will be held:

Sunset Valley Village
5601 Brodie Lane Suite 300
Austin, TX 78745

Hope to see you there!

Thanks,

David J. Perdue

Inventor’s Guide companion website: http://www.nxtguide.davidjperdue.com/
Inventor’s Guide companion blog: http://www.nxtblog.davidjperdue.com/

Subject:
TexLUG at 3rd Annual HBCE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.castle, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:09:26 GMT

Flickr Gallery

For a third year, TexLUG was invited to display at the Healthy Baby and Child Expo in San Antonio on March 8th and 9th, 2008. While only two TexLUG members were able to attend, the layout was nevertheless a success. The theme this year was “Around the World in 80 days”, featuring well known landmarks and monuments from around the globe, along with a few LEGO sets and MOCs.

--Tony

Subject:
The Unofficial LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Inventor's Guide
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.tx
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 16:18:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I’m having a book signing this month for my new book The Unofficial LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Inventor’s Guide (No Starch Press), and I decided to officially announce the book here on LUGNET and invite everyone who lives in the Round Rock, Texas area to stop by the signing (details below).

First, The Unofficial LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Inventor’s Guide is a general guide to the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT set (retail version). In a nutshell, the book teaches you how to effectively create NXT robots. It examines all the pieces in the NXT set and discusses building techniques; covers the NXT-G programming language and introduces some text-based languages; and provides six projects with building, programming, and testing instructions. There are also three appendixes, including an NXT Piece Library and an NXT-G Quick Reference. At the book’s companion website, you can read a complete description, the table of contents, and sample pages. In addition, you’ll find pictures of all the book’s projects (robots), the source code (NXT-G), and more. Furthermore, I’ve started a companion blog, and I also have several videos of the robots on YouTube. Here are the links:
The book signing is scheduled for January 12th, 2008 at 2PM, and I’ll be bringing two robots from the book with me (probably Tag-Bot and Guard-Bot). Following is the address of the Barnes & Noble location where the book signing will be held:

La Frontera Village
2701 Parker Road Bldg A Suite 700
Round Rock, TX 78681

See you there! :)

David J. Perdue

Re: TexLUGger at NETLTC's display at the Marshall, TX train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 08:19:22 GMT

   It was really nice having Tony visit our show and share his steam MOCs with us and the public at the show. I will be posting a review of the show within a day or two...

Kirk H

Here is the promised review. The show was sponsored by the Texas & Pacific Historical Society in Marshall to raise money for the T&P museum and the old historic depot. The Marshall Civic Center housed the show. In addition to the NETLTC, there were 2 HO layouts, 1 N scale, and 1 Lionel layout. We were debuting our modular tables and we only had 6 full sized and 2 skinny tables finished - so we displayed a much smaller layout than at previous shows (10 x 15ish). Our smallness was a benefit because the show organizers miscalculated the meeting space and didn’t have room for us if we had been full sized.

The show was lightly attended with the strongest crowd numbers showing up Sunday afternoon. There had been some media coverage on Saturday. I was interviewed for a local radio station. As usual, the Lego trains are a real crowd pleaser and we get the usual - ‘didn’t know Lego made trains’, etc...

We have done shows in Tyler, Tx and now in Marshall, TX - all of these shows have been for rail historical societies. One of my personal Lego train goals is to model the fallen flags from East Texas. So the Cotton Belt folks in Tyler (birthplace of the St Louis and Southwestern - aka Cotton Belt) really like my Cotton Belt engines and the T&P folks (birthplace in Marshall) really like my T&P engines in ‘Swamp Holly Orange’. Well - Lego orange is close enough! So we have won some friends.

Our future plans are to build more tables and improve the layout and add more engines and rolling stock in road colors from East Texas...

for pictures visit the NETLTC website: NETLTC

also see tony’s pictures - links below...

   I took some pictures of my time there, plus some video. I’ll link to the video once I can figure out how to get it out of the camcorder and online.

Full Gallery

-Tony

Re: TexLUGger at NETLTC's display at the Marshall, TX train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.tx, lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 08:56:43 GMT

In lugnet.events, Anthony Sava wrote:
   I just recently found out about the existence of the North Eastern Texas LEGO Train Club (NETLTC), and even more recently discovered that they were going to be attending the train show in Marshall, Texas. I was only able to attend one day but the members of NETLTC were kind enough to let me run my trains on their layout, plus they made me an official member :)

It was really nice having Tony visit our show and share his steam MOCs with us and the public at the show. I will be posting a review of the show within a day or two...

Kirk H

   I took some pictures of my time there, plus some video. I’ll link to the video once I can figure out how to get it out of the camcorder and online.

Full Gallery

-Tony

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact