 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 152
Re: Any interest in a Train Club?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:19:28 GMT

"Chris Phillips" <drvegetable@attbi.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.us.ct, Mike Walsh writes:

[ ... snipped ... ]

I am certain that there is critical mass out there "in the woods" to put • on
a decent train show.  It shouldn't require special incentives to draw • people
out; running a successful show is its own reward.

- Chris.

Chris' last statement is really important.  If you need incentives to do a
show, you are missing the point.  Simply doing a show or public exhibition
should rewarding in of itself.  Personally there are two aspects of a show
that I really enjoy:

1)  Seeing the whole layout come together.  I'll never (at least not any
time soon) have enough room at home to leave a sizeable layout up for any
extended period.  Seeing everything together all at one time is very
satisfying.

2)  The interaction with the public.  I know not everyone enjoys this aspect
of a show but I do.  I like talking to people as they take it all in.  I
like answering the questions.  I view it as a chance to evangelize our hobby
and hopefully, recruit some new members.  The best part is seeing the
expressions on the kids faces when they realize it is all LEGO.

If I didn't enjoy doing it I wouldn't put the time and effort into that I
do.  Doing a show is a great experience.  But you really need to do more
than one.  You can get lots of advice from the people and clubs that have
been through the process but until you have done it once, you can't really
predict how it will go.  After you have done one, you know a lot of things
you would do differently so the second and third are typically much easier.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com