 Local / United States / Rhode Island / *158 (-20)
Subject:
NELUG Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.vt
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:28:02 GMT

Hello all,

NELUG is planning to get together this coming Thursday May 5th.

We will meet at about 6:00 PM at the LEGO store in the Burlington Mall in
Burlington Massachusetts, and we will head out for dinner at the Macarroni Grill
at about 7:30 PM.

Come join us and bring your MOCs for all to see!

Subject:
NELUG display at RI Cooks Convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:11:25 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This past weekend, the New England Lego User’s Group displayed a 10’x30’ train display at the RI Cooks convention in Providence. We were also accompnaied by a pair of RI First Lego League teams who are preparing for competition this coming January.

We started setup on Friday morning, all set to make a square 20’x20’ layout. Then we had to completely change on the fly, as we discovered the real dimensions were 10’x30’+. Plenty of room for our MOCs, but we were challenged to make the layout without Track Designer, just using our heads!

After solving that problem, we got down to enjoying the show. And the spirits! This show was a bit different then our typical fare, with booths filled with food and wine to taste. At the end of the weekend, we were all fairly used to eating in small dixie cup sized portions!

Several of the members were excited to have a show in Southern New England, finally. Jamie barely knew what to do with himself after his grueling 15 minute ride. With this shorter drive to shows, I think the pressure is on Wayne to actually build something for the next show down here! We also got to meet Richard Legault, who has been lurking for some time, and just needed us to get closer to Newport for him to come out.

Finally, we met some middle school students who were very excited to display their latest robotic creations. Tom Kowalczyk and his crack team of FLL kids were hard at work designing solutions to the last few challenges before thier state competition on January 15th. Tom is looking for some good judges, if any New Englanders are interested. (Seems like there should be a lugnet.robotics.fll group, no? Maybe someday.)

Photographic highlights of the event:

Eric Kingsley brought his massive new tower/train station:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/02.jpg

Speed train:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/03.jpg

There was wine at this show:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/08.jpg

Liscence & Registration, Sir:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/07.jpg

Uhauls do break down:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/12.jpg

First Lego League kids show off:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/alfredjr/NELUG/RI-Cooks04/18fll.jpg

Thanks to everyone who came and helped out, even if it was just to clean up, or bring a MOC! We had a lot of fun. Hopefully, we can do more shows down here in SE New England.

-Alfred

Subject:
NELUG to display at the RI Cooks Convention - Nov 19-21 RI Convention Center
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:59:16 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The New England Lego Users Group will be displaying at the Rhode Island Cooks Convention at the Rhode Island Convention Center in Providence, RI on November 19-21. The display will include several creations from NELUG members, as well as two running train loops. Also, a First Lego League competition group will be displaying thier robotic creations on Friday and Saturday.

The convention is open to the public the following hours:
Friday, November 19th 5 pm – 9 pm
Saturday, November 20th 10 am – 6 pm
Sunday, November 21st 10 am – 5 pm

Admission at the door is
Adults: $12
Seniors: $6
Children 12 and under: $6
Children 6 and under: FREE

Discounted tickets can be purchased at Whole Foods locations or you can use this web cupon.

Alfred Speredelozzi
NELUG

Subject:
Moonbases in New England?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:45:08 GMT

Hey All!

I was just curious about how many Moonbase builders out there might be
relatively close to me.  Are there other Moonbases in or nearby New England?

The reason I ask is that although I plan to join in any Moonbase display at
BrickFest, I would also like to know what the possibilities are of local
displays as well.  Anyhoo, how about a psuedo-roll-call of New England area
Moonbase builders:

1. Hendo, Greenfield, MA; 1 Module, Plans for 2-4 more.

Any others?

FUT: .org.us.nelug, just to keep it tidy.

-H.

Re: Any interest in a Train Club?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:19:28 GMT

"Chris Phillips" <drvegetable@attbi.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.us.ct, Mike Walsh writes:

[ ... snipped ... ]

I am certain that there is critical mass out there "in the woods" to put • on
a decent train show.  It shouldn't require special incentives to draw • people
out; running a successful show is its own reward.

- Chris.

Chris' last statement is really important.  If you need incentives to do a
show, you are missing the point.  Simply doing a show or public exhibition
should rewarding in of itself.  Personally there are two aspects of a show
that I really enjoy:

1)  Seeing the whole layout come together.  I'll never (at least not any
time soon) have enough room at home to leave a sizeable layout up for any
extended period.  Seeing everything together all at one time is very
satisfying.

2)  The interaction with the public.  I know not everyone enjoys this aspect
of a show but I do.  I like talking to people as they take it all in.  I
like answering the questions.  I view it as a chance to evangelize our hobby
and hopefully, recruit some new members.  The best part is seeing the
expressions on the kids faces when they realize it is all LEGO.

If I didn't enjoy doing it I wouldn't put the time and effort into that I
do.  Doing a show is a great experience.  But you really need to do more
than one.  You can get lots of advice from the people and clubs that have
been through the process but until you have done it once, you can't really
predict how it will go.  After you have done one, you know a lot of things
you would do differently so the second and third are typically much easier.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

Re: Any interest in a Train Club?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:51:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ct, Mike Walsh writes:

Don Heyse wrote:
Yeah, a small train club out here does sound like a lot of fun, but
that critical mass problem is a tough one to get past, way out
here in the woods of Southern N.E.  I suspect it would take some
sort of spectacular event to coax 10 potential members out of the
woodwork.

You don't need 10 people to do a successful train show.  It helps but it
isn't absolutely necessary.  We here in North Carolina (NCLTC) have done a
most of our shows with 3-5 people contibuting to the layout.  We have some
additional help with set up and tear down but the core group of builders is
actually pretty small.

There is no rule that says you have to have a 20'x30' layout for it to be a
success.  Our next layout is scaling back a bit, it will be 8'x18' but it
will have some new features that we are pretty excited about.

Mike

Mike is absolutely correct.  NELUG holds our train shows with the
participation of typically between 6 and 8 members when we do our "large"
10'x20' layout.  Next month, we plan to do a smaller 7'x10' layout with the
participation of only four members, although we will probably try to borrow
a few key MOCs from non-attending members.  (We will also be displaying our
full 10'x20' layout at a different show the following weekend.)

I once brought in my trains and a couple buildings to work and set up a
rudimentary pre-holiday train display by myself.  Although my layout was
absolutely laughable when compared to any LTC layout I've ever seen, it was
a HUGE hit with everybody who saw it.  It doesn't take a lot of people to
put together a crowd-pleasing LEGO train display, it just takes one person
with the initiative to say "let's do it."

I am certain that there is critical mass out there "in the woods" to put on
a decent train show.  It shouldn't require special incentives to draw people
out; running a successful show is its own reward.

- Chris.

Re: Any interest in a Train Club?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:45:25 GMT

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

Yeah, a small train club out here does sound like a lot of fun, but
that critical mass problem is a tough one to get past, way out
here in the woods of Southern N.E.  I suspect it would take some
sort of spectacular event to coax 10 potential members out of the
woodwork.  I envision something like a once in a lifetime chance to
shop at the internal company discount store, followed by a trip to
the trolley museum for building inspiration just might do it, but I
don't think the trolley museum is even open until spring.  Maybe you
could check out one of the NELUG shows in the meantime to keep the
inspiration going.

Don

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com

Re: Any interest in a Train Club?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 03:20:51 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ct, Chris Phillips writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ct, Jake McKee writes:
I have been inspired! Would anyone have any interest in forming a
Connecticut and/or southern Mass. LEGO Train Club?

First, let me say that I am located in southeastern Massachusetts, and would
certainly consider driving for a couple hours to participate in train shows
with you.

But your very question tips another issue that has long been festering in
the back of my mind.  Did NELUG cast too wide a net?  When we started NELUG,
we chose a "New England" designation because we were not certain that a
smaller geographic focus would contain enough AFOLs to support a LUG.  In
reality, NELUG is dominated by activity in eastern Massachusetts, despite at
least a few past efforts to include members from other areas.  Our attempts
to organize meetings in western MA or to do train shows in southern NE have
collapsed for lack of critical mass.

Yeah, a small train club out here does sound like a lot of fun, but
that critical mass problem is a tough one to get past, way out
here in the woods of Southern N.E.  I suspect it would take some
sort of spectacular event to coax 10 potential members out of the
woodwork.  I envision something like a once in a lifetime chance to
shop at the internal company discount store, followed by a trip to
the trolley museum for building inspiration just might do it, but I
don't think the trolley museum is even open until spring.  Maybe you
could check out one of the NELUG shows in the meantime to keep the
inspiration going.

Don

Subject:
Casting a large net
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:34:14 GMT

The "casting of a large net" is a very interesting topic. In fact I think it
is one of the most over looked concepts in the formation of a new club. In
the early stages of forming a club the biggest hurdle is achieving critical
mass. So by covering a large geo this is more achievable. However as clubs
mature and grow, so does the number of members. In PNLTC's case we have
grown to the point where the Portland and Seattle members (3.5hr drive) do
separate shows with only a small amount of cross pollination. We have taken
to meet in a small town mid way to have PNLTC train-fests so that we can all
literally get to meet each other. We've had 4 "joint" face-to-face meetings
in the last 2 years.

I think that it is important to understand this process and embrace the fact
that large geo's serviced by a single club will inevitably divide into
smaller sustainable clubs. It seems like 10 members is a kind of magic
number, where there is a critical mass achieved yet the inter-communications
are easily maintained etc.

I hope to flush out these ramblings in an article for the ITLCO web site; an
article about forming a new train club.

<shamelessplug>
These kinds of key learning's should be captured and shared. The ILTCO is
planning on having a resource area on the ILTCO.org web page for "Best Know
Methods", articles, fest presentations etc. If you are interested please get
started writting and let us know.
</shamelessplug>

SteveB

Re: Any interest in a Train Club?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.spr, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:13:37 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ct, Jake McKee writes:
I have been inspired! Would anyone have any interest in forming a
Connecticut and/or southern Mass. LEGO Train Club?

Jake,

First, let me say that I am located in southeastern Massachusetts, and would
certainly consider driving for a couple hours to participate in train shows
with you.

But your very question tips another issue that has long been festering in
the back of my mind.  Did NELUG cast too wide a net?  When we started NELUG,
we chose a "New England" designation because we were not certain that a
smaller geographic focus would contain enough AFOLs to support a LUG.  In
reality, NELUG is dominated by activity in eastern Massachusetts, despite at
least a few past efforts to include members from other areas.  Our attempts
to organize meetings in western MA or to do train shows in southern NE have
collapsed for lack of critical mass.

NELUG has always had a stated goal of creating smaller sub-groups if such a
dynamic emerged.  In fact, I would say that NELUG currently has three rough
sub-groups: (1) people who attend general meetings, (2) people who attend
train shows, and (3) people who play BrickWars.

So I guess what I am saying is that you should feel perfectly welcome to
join NELUG (if you haven't already) and take the initiative to organize club
activities in your area.  You can call on all of our members to participate
in local meetings and/or train shows.  All it takes to have a meeting is for
a NELUG member to call one.  We do have members in your area who have
expressed interest in attending meetings and doing shows if only it wasn't a
three-hour drive.

Of course, if you would prefer to create a new group rather than trying to
piggyback your efforts off of NELUG, that is certainly an option as well.  I
personally look forward to seeing more LUG/LTC activity across our entire
region.  I think I can speak for NELUG when I say that you can count on our
full support and cooperation, however you should decide to proceed.

- Chris.

Re: next lego train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:37:04 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ri, Brian Massarotti writes:
Hello everyone.

Would someone please let me know when and where the next lego train show
will be held.  My wife and I are very interested in attending.  If some help
with set up is needed we would love to help and meet some great new friends.

thanks, brian

Hi Brian!

I think the next NELUG train show is in April, and I *believe* we're going to
be expanding our layout.  We'd love to have you stop by, spend the day,
contribute something ... I believe it will be in Massachusetts again, which
means it will be a bit of a hike for you, but it can be done!  Jamie comes up
from RI also.

Just as an aside: I happened to see your post, but unless you were specifically
inquiring about Rhode Island shows (there was one not too long ago, but nobody
from NELUG attended .... and I don't know when the next one is!), you might get
a larger response posting to lugnet.org.us.NELUG.  For most of the New England
LEGO goings-on, that's the group to keep an eye on!

Hope to hear more from you soon,
Shaun

Subject:
next lego train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:06:57 GMT

Hello everyone.

Would someone please let me know when and where the next lego train show
will be held.  My wife and I are very interested in attending.  If some help
with set up is needed we would love to help and meet some great new friends.

thanks, brian

Re: Gobble Gobble! meeting? was: Re: Boo! meeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:01:49 GMT

Actually, I've been meaning to ask (and this seems like an appropriate time):

I live fairly close to the MA/RI boarder. Are there any people in the area
who'd like to get together sometime? I wouldn't mind trying that at some
point. I like the (Boston-area)NELUG meetings, it's just difficult for me to
make them.

Evil Wayne
"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

http://www.geocities.com/legomaniac70

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, John P. Henderson writes:

Seriously, I know you'd be in for a long drive, but I hope you can make it out
for a meeting at some point.  And if you can find someone closer to your area,
set up a NELUG meeting out there!  Maybe you can make us drive out to you. :D

I would just like to throw in my 2 cents and say that I would be real excited
if folks wanted to have NELUG meetings in other parts of New England.  We have
a very well established group in the Greater Boston Area that keeps our general
meeting attendance at a consistant 15 to 20 people with special events
occasionally drawing even more.

That said, we started out with meetings of 4 or 5 which at the time I thought
was unbelievable!!!  Now I am disappointed if we have less than 10 people for
most functions.  (Although some events like Brikwars are pretty specialized so
head count tends to be lower at those events).

I guess what I am trying to say is that if there are 3 or 4 people in an area
outside of the Greater Boston area don't feel shy about having a meeting.  I
personally couldn't travel very far very often for a meeting but every once in
a while a change of scenery would be nice.  Also there are things like Train
Shows in other parts of New England that I would love NELUG to participate in
but without a local contingent to organize the display it makes it nearly
impossible to pull off.  Right now I know there are Greenberg shows in Hartford
and Providence along with the Wilmington MA shows that we currently do.

I would definitly make it for a day at one of these shows and make sure the
NELUG tables were available along with some of my MOC's.  I just can't commit
to all 3 days when the commute is so long.

Either way we love having new faces at our Waltham meetings so if you can't get
a group going elsewhere and you can make the trek then we would love to see
you.

Eric Kingsley

Re: Gobble Gobble! meeting? was: Re: Boo! meeting?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:34:11 GMT

[...]

Re: New Train Show date possibility...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:15:58 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
I just recieved a packet of information from Greenberg Shows and they have
added a new Train Show in Providence, RI on January 5-6.  Is anyone interested
in doing this show?

I dunno. I wouldn't mind donating stuff and being there for one day of the
event-- don't think I want to drive out 3 times though (assuming Friday
setup, Saturday & Sunday shows)... So-- I guess you can put me down as a
"kinda".

DaveE

Re: New Train Show date possibility...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:38:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Freight Freitas writes:

I would be interested in doing the show in  Providence, hopefully there are
others too! We could always carpool down there, as there are a good number
of us that live close to each other!

Freight
I just recieved a packet of information from Greenberg Shows and they have
added a new Train Show in Providence, RI on January 5-6.  Is anyone interested
in doing this show?

We have kind of dismissed the Hartford Show mostly because of Travel and the
fact that it falls on Thanksgiving weekend.  Rhode Island is closer for many of
us and I know several of our members are on the South Shore of MA as well.

I would be willing to help with Setup and Breakdown but I think we would need
some volunteers during showtimes because the show is just a bit too far for me
to drive down 3 days in a row.

So please keep this in mind and definitely post if you would be interested in
helping out with the show.

Eric Kingsley

Subject:
New Train Show date possibility...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 13:15:57 GMT

I just recieved a packet of information from Greenberg Shows and they have
added a new Train Show in Providence, RI on January 5-6.  Is anyone interested
in doing this show?

We have kind of dismissed the Hartford Show mostly because of Travel and the
fact that it falls on Thanksgiving weekend.  Rhode Island is closer for many of
us and I know several of our members are on the South Shore of MA as well.

I would be willing to help with Setup and Breakdown but I think we would need
some volunteers during showtimes because the show is just a bit too far for me
to drive down 3 days in a row.

So please keep this in mind and definitely post if you would be interested in
helping out with the show.

Eric Kingsley

Subject:
NELUG at Greenberg Train show in Wilminton MA 3/31-4/1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:53:37 GMT

NELUG will be displaying their train layout this weekend 3/31-4/1 at the
Shriners Auditorium in Willmington MA.  For more information check out this
post:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=1403

Hope to see you there,

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

Subject:
Reminder - Dinner tomorrow (Tue Feb 13) at Bison County
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:07:08 GMT

Just one final reminder - dinner tomorrow night at Bison County in Waltham, MA,
across from the Construction Site (www.constructiontoys.com - address at top of
page).  Time: 7:30.  Place: Bison County Special Function Room.  People will
gather at TCS across the street probably half hour or so before.

Update: Unfortunately Michael Lachmann has to return to Austria tomorrow to go
to work on Wednesday.  He sends his apologies.  Abner and Ryan are still coming
to my knowledge.

Please show up, its going to be a fun time!

PS - can anyone get me a ride to either North Station or Wenham after its all
over, or evne possibly pick me up in Wenham as well?  If not, I have a backup
plan, but that would be nice.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

Re: Legofest/Dinner at TCS and Bison County, Tue Feb 13
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.vt
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:03:03 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message news:G7ryt3.J99@lugnet.com...

Mapquest provides excellent directions from I-93/128.  TCS/BC is two blocks • away
from the Waltham stop on the Fitchburg line of the Commuter Rail as well.

Make tha I-95, I think.  Aah, those two numbers confuse me here...  Anyways, the
Mapquest directions won't confuse you :-)
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact