 Local / United States / Pennsylvania / *479 (-5)
Subject:
PennLUG to display at Euro East Train Show, August 11th, 12th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.pennlug, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 03:02:02 GMT

For the second year in row PennLUG (Pennsylvania LEGO Users Group) will be displaying a LEGO train layout at the Euro East Train Show in Marietta, PA. Euro East is the largest European train show east of the Rockies featuring several operating layouts, vendors and seminars centered around European Trains. While PennLUG’s layout isn’t European themed the organizers love the idea of LEGO trains and have asked us dispaly again this year. If you happen to be in the area August 11th or 12th feel free to stop in.

More Info can be found on Euro East’s web site. http://www.euroeastonline.com/index.html

Pictures from last years layout. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=200126

Cale

Subject:
DelVaLUG at Wizard World Philadelphia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:54:00 GMT

DelVaLUG, the Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group, successfully exhibited a group layout at the comics and pop-culture expo Wizard World Philadelphia pop-culture expo on 15-17 June, 2007, at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

Participating members were Tim Caffrey, Roy Cook, Alice Leber-Cook, and Phillip Thorne, plus new members and first-time exhibitors Arthur Stromberg and Amy.

Set up in a 10x10-foot parcel near the front of the show (amidst the major corporate exhibitors), the layout was 6 Fleske-modules in size, in a “J” shape, and featured one train loop, two trains, seven buildings, numerous vehicles, and a plethora of minifigs; including:
  • The Hall of Justice
  • Four Freedoms Plaza
  • Café Corner
  • A dark variant of Café Corner
  • Interpretations of robot-mode Bumblebee, Megatron, and Optimus Prime
  • Vehicle-mode Bumblebee and Ironhide (from the new movie)
  • The three-segment Fantasticar (from the new movie)
  • Official minifigs from Batman, Harry Potter, and Spider-Man
  • Custom minifigs from the Fantastic Four, Justice League, Spider-Man III, and X-Men
An article about the show, with one photo of the exhibit, appeared in the Monday 18 June 2007 issue of the Philadelphia Inquirer. About 80 people added themselves to the club’s email announcement list (for post-show photos and upcoming-show announcements), including several likely prospects for new members. The exhibit cross-promoted Philcon 2007, which is likely to be our next major activity.

Subject:
DelVaLUG to exhibit at Wizard World Philadelphia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 13:16:16 GMT

DelVaLUG, the Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group, will be exhibiting at the Wizard World Philadelphia pop-culture expo on 15-17 June, 2007. The event is held at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.

Featured elements of the display will be custom models tied to three of this summer’s action movies: “Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer,” “Spider-Man 3,” and “The Transformers.”

Behind the scenes: This is an event that DelVaLUG members first proposed before the 2006 show, but we finally approached Wizard Entertainment this April. You have to be diplomatic when cold-calling, and cite the right advantages; but they were very happy to have us. After all, the company isn’t just comic books -- it does publish the magazines ToyFare and ToyWishes, so a toy-based display that can adapt itself to the show’s themes is definitely appropriate.

We’ll be using this event for AFOL promotion and club recruitment; the product literature distributed at BrickFest will be used. Since I’m deeply involved with the Philcon SF convention, I’ll also be promoting that. It’s not a big segue; a matter of “Oh, and we’ll be appearing later this year at Philcon -- different theme, much more convivial, and you get to build with the parts.”

Subject:
LEGO events at Philcon 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:50:04 GMT

Philcon 2006, the 70th edition of the annual Philadelphia Area Conference of Science Fiction and Fantasy, will run this coming November; and for the third year, I’ll be conducting a set of LEGO-themed events. Here are some pics of the 2004 event and 2005.

There will definitely be an Open Build and a MOC display with pre- and at-con-built SF-themed models, and maybe a Space-themed train layout. I might run a couple of QuikWars games, or arrange a screening of SF/F-topic brikfilms. There may be slideshows and building technique workshops.

How can you help?
  • Do you want to come and present on a topic such as Bionicle, Castles, Mecha, Micro, Moonbase or Space?
  • Want to contribute images and anecdots for such a slideshow, run by someone else?
  • Itching to run a game of BrickQuest, BrikWars, or QuikWars?
  • Got a fancy new Mindstorms NXT bot to demo?
  • Have a MOC you can send by mail?
  • Have MOC plans you can send by e-mail, that I’ll recreate locally and display under your name?
  • Got a brikfilm you’d like to screen?
Why should you help?
  • To show off your building prowess to an audience outside AFOLdom: over a thousand people from DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, and VA.
  • To expand the awareness of advanced LEGO building, and AFOLdom.
  • Because you need another collaborative LEGO fix two-and-a-half months after BrickFest.
If you’re interested, please contact me at kids2006@philcon.org for details and planning. Thank you. (Philcon is a copyright of the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society. Philcon 2006 runs the weekend of 17-19 November 2006 at the Sheraton Center City, located near City Hall. LEGO activities at Philcon are considered a sub-track of the Children’s Program only for organizational purposes. This message has been cross-posted because... well, there are lots of reasons you might logically be interested.)

Subject:
Visiting the East Coast
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.dc, lugnet.loc.us.va, lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:52:37 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi folks!

Well, it has certainly been a while. (Four years, to be precise.)

Yesterday, I landed in Boston for a one-month visit to the East Coast. This (following ten amazing days in Holland) is to celebrate my Masters graduation (with honors, yay me!). Before I dive into the corporate world (and hopefully not belly-flop), I’m taking a well-earned break from everything work-related.

While home-base is generally Boston, I am not confined to there. I will be visiting other locations in and around the East Coast. Certain locations are Philadelphia (date uncertain) and Virginia + D.C. (25th of July til August 4th). New York (both City and State) are likely but not certain. Other destinations along the coast are optional. I intend to rent a car and I’m good to drive far. I will be flying back from D.C. on August 4th.

Of course, classically, I’m missing the big fests, but hey, what can you do - my best friend is getting married on August 6th. Wouldn’t miss it for the world (even if it were a model built of bricks).

I will be glad to meet anyone who wants to do so, especially in these areas but also other areas along the coast - like I said - are potentially good. If you want me to come see you somewhere else, that I haven’t listed - I’ll be happy to come if you can provide me with lodgings.

As you might expect, I have been quite neglecting Lego, but that is easily remedied in the USA.

I am available at the coveted firstname.lastname at gmail. grin

Glad to be here, -Shiri

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact