 Local / United States / Mississippi / * (-5)
Re: New LUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, lugnet.loc.us.ms, lugnet.loc.us.ar
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:11:12 GMT

I can't believe my message was the last one in the Memphis column, and I wrote
it 6 years ago!
I have since started using my Yahoo! e-mail as my main one (
Savannius@NOSPAMPLEASEyahoo.com ), I haven't used LDraw in a bit, but still keep
up with all the updates, and I'd still like to attend a LUG or LTG meeting (and
still need transportation outside of Memphis.)
I've since broken down most of my physical Legoes by color or function (slopes,
antennae, minifig accs., etc.), but most still fit into a triple-bagged grocery
bag. (Paper, of course.)
     -- James J.

In lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, James Jackson wrote:
In lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, Rich Thompson writes:
Hey James! I can transport you to Nashville's TennLUG meetings easily. I
have room for six in my truck + enough cargo space for a decent sized
layout. I am already taking two smaller folks up the first or second week in
April...if we can work out schedules with the other TennLUG folks (mainly
Robert, who has volunteered his house).

As for a local group, my lego area is dining room sized (in fact, it once
was the dining room...hahaha) and we could get together here when a full
blown TennLUG meeting isn't an option.

The TennLUG group is considering a larger train layout or a larger project.
I imagine that will be the topic at the next meeting...

Shoot me an email.... rich@robotthoughts.com

Rich Thompson
http://www.tennlug.com
http://www.robotthoughts.com

Thanks for the offer, Rich.
That sounds great. I may have to work on Saturdays, but I'll let you know
something. I may be able to work out later meetings easier, esp. once U of M
lets out. Despite it's overwhelming size, I might be able to shoehorn my
(currently visible) entire LEGO collection into something convenient (or 1 big
Rubbermaid, if I owned such).

The get together in town sounds great also.
It's good to know that there is someone in town that I can exchange ideas with.
I still have a few models I made in earlier years that can be easily
re-assembled. If you deal with any of the L-CAD programs, I could always use
suggestions, such as with my large Articulated Battroid/Mecha project, or with
custom-made elements.
Get back to me soon.

James J.
jejackso@memphis.edu
http://www.people.memphis.edu/~Jejackso/ledit.html
(Personal Minifig Population: >=55, with 3 still unaccounted for.)

P.S. I think Todd may be getting overworked. His sig read "--Todd (listening
to Johnny Cash's album _Murder_ :-)". Scary stuff indeed :p lol

In lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, James Jackson writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.org.us.bloc, James Jackson writes:
How would you go about establishing a new L.U.G., particularly in a
more-localized region? Although I would like to start one in Memphis,
I am not sure that I could round-up enough "local boys" and "local gals"
who'd be interested.

I would start by posting a question to gauge interest level in the relevant
local groups and seeing how many people are around.  Give your thoughts on
what you'd like to accomplish, how often you'd like to get together, how
formal of an organization, etc.  Then, if you get a few responses, see if
you can all decide on a date to meet at someone's house (or a local pub or
library, anywhere) and talk about stuff and bring LEGO and have an informal
building session for a couple hours.  See how it goes, see how people get
along.  (In my experience, LEGO people all seem to get along pretty well,
compared to random people out in the general population.)  See if people are
excited about meet again.  If so, set a date to meet again, then announce it
and invite more people.  Put up photos if you can -- that always helps
people see that something is "real."

BTW, when you say Memphis, do you mean the greater Memphis metropolitan area
or something larger or smaller?  The reason I ask is because you might
contact the TennLUG people and see if there's overlap.

   http://www.tennlug.com/
   http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/tennlug/

Thanks for the information Todd. When I say Memphis, I mean it would be nice to
have a subsidiary-type LUG dealing with Memphis and towns within a 60-mile
radius of it in the Mid-South or Tenn-Ark-Miss region. For you see, I am
without car, nor the means to travel 200 miles and 4-5 hrs. to Nashville.

--Todd (listening to Johnny Cash's album _Murder_ :-)

Subject:
DixieLUG meeting: 11 October 2003
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.al, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.ms
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 01:20:37 GMT

Hi everyone,

I will be hosting the next DixieLUG meeting at my home in Auburn, Alabama.

DATE: Saturday, 11 October 2003
TIME: say from about 11:00am - 5:00pm (that's Central Time, by the way)
PLACE: Eric Harshbarger's House, Auburn, AL (email for directions:
eric@ericharshbarger.org)

Current plans for the gathering include:

- Another 'part out' of a set, 4099 - Robobots.
- Miscellaneous brick sorting/trading. Folks are encouraged to bring any
large tubs of unsorted pieces they have (I for one LOVE to rummage
through such things... I have plenty of floor space onto which we may
dump said tubs)
- Bring any MOCs you want to show off (moonbases, etc).
- Discuss the NGLTC event from 20 Sep.
- The 'tour' of my house [grin]... I'll try to make it interesting.
Obviously you'll get to see past models and mosaics I have about, my
storage cabinets, and anything new I might have completed or be working
on (the 924[x3] Space Cruiser, Crayola Crayon Box, etc).
- DixieLUG organizational talk.
- other suggestions welcome
- we can figure out eating plans at the meeting... there are decent
options... you may want to eat lunch beforehand, I guess.

BTW, I always love to trade/buy pieces. I'm currently looking for the
following especially:

- any printed/decorated tiles
- any lime green tiles
- female minifig hair
- black minifig legs

Others are welcome to follow up on this thread with piece requests and
suggestions.

Cheers, hope to see you on the 11th,

eric harshbarger

Subject:
Anyone out there?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ms
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:48:58 GMT

Any other Lego Maniacs in the state of Mississippi?

Mathew Stephen
Starkville, MS
http://www.uravan.com/lego/

Subject:
DixieLUG meeting, 21 April 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug, lugnet.loc.us.al, lugnet.loc.us.ga, lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.ms, lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 22:04:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Ok, here's the final announcement. there is a DixieLUG upcoming.

WHAT: DixieLUG meeting
WHEN: 21 April 2001, 11:00am ~ 7:00pm (I guess)
WHERE: Eric Harshbarger's house (in Auburn, AL -- email me for
specifics)

I think about 7-8 folks have responded to the first announcement
(including a few new attendees), so we'll have a decent crowd (I'll try
to clear enough space in my house for everyone).

We can 'start' about 11am Saturday morning (I have a commitment before
then) and continue all afternoon, I guess... I'm flexible. Remember, I'm
in Central Time Zone.

I don't really have anything planned, so just bring whatever MOCs you
want, pieces to trade, and such. If we run out of things to do, I will
have to impress everyone into service so that they can help me sort my
recently arrived third-of-a-million bricks (I'm not kidding)... so you
better come with activity ideas [grin].

cheers,

eric

Eric Harshbarger / eric@ericharshbarger.org / www.ericharshbarger.org

"Oh please, if people are going to start telling the truth around
here... I'm going to bed." - Jackie-O (Parker Posey, THE HOUSE OF YES)

Subject:
LEGO Meeting in Memphis.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.tn, lugnet.loc.us.ar, lugnet.loc.us.ms
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 23:44:07 GMT

Hello.
     Anyone out there interested in having a (non-group based) LEGO meeting in
Memphis? If so, let me know your stand on the issue.

James J.

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact