 Local / United States / Minnesota / * (-5)
Subject:
Check out what you can make with 750,000 LEGO bricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.fun, lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us.mn
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 05:15:17 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Check out what you can make with 750,000 LEGOs

From Kare11.com website March 20, 2011

MINNEAPOLIS -- Local LEGO-builders have a new way to let visitors get a look at their one-of-a-kind creations.

“It’s extravagant. You come in and it’s a huge playland,” visitor Trever Sullivan said about the warehouse in north Minneapolis that is filled with original LEGO scenes.

It is a playland where trains chug across bridges and through tunnels, passing all kinds of action. There is a mountain, a main street and hundreds of characters in countless scenes.

“The thing that surprises visitors the most is these are not sets that LEGO has made,” club member Stein Settergren explained.

“Everything is custom made,” club member Steve Demlow added.

What looks like it could have come from a giant LEGO kit is actually the brainchild of a dozen local guys who’ve never given up their childhood hobbies.

“It is a whole mix of people. We’ve got a couple computer programmers, a guy who does real estate, a 911 dispatcher,” club member John Kelly said. “There’s a LEGO geek and a train geek and a couple of guys are both.”

Some of the men have been building together since the early 80s. More LEGO fanatics came on board after the LEGO store opened at the Mall of America in the early 90s.

“We met in a basement of a guy’s house in Minneapolis,” Demlow explained. “We had room for about a fifth of the layout to be set up at any one time.”

The Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club (GMLTC) now operates out of the Brickmania Toyworks warehouse in Suite 177 at 1620 Central Avenue NE in Minneapolis. The Twin Cities LEGO Train Club also has a layout in the space. The clubs hold a free open house from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the second Saturday of every month.

Besides the train layouts, there is a building area for the kids. There is also a small retail store within the space featuring a variety of hard to find LEGO products.

“It is incredible,” one father said as he looked through the display with his kids. “We’re wondering on how many pieces?”

Settergren figures the guys in the GMLTC have at least 750,000 bricks into what the group considers a huge art project.

“It is an artistic medium,” Settergren explained. “This is our medium, the LEGO brick.”

The LEGO brick-- that built the playland-- that is turning out to be a hit with all ages in Minneapolis.

Source: Kare11.com

Brickmania Brickmania.com

Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club GMLTC.ORG

Twin Cities LEGO Train Club TCLTC

-end of report-

Subject:
GMLTC to display at La Crosse & Three Rivers Model Railroad Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn, lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:42:42 GMT

The Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club will be showing this weekend at the La Crosse & Three Rivers Railroad Club 29th Annual Model Railroad Show.
Come see the GMLTC’s 18’x30’ ever-expanding modular all-LEGO town & 9V train layout.
Judy & Bill Payne will also have their town layout featuring LEGO battery trains.
Trempealeau’s Dave & Stacy Sterling will be displaying their ToT-LUG LEGO Town & Train layout.
As always, guests are invited to bring along their own LEGO rolling stock to run on our layout.
There will be many other (non-Lego) operating train layouts from all over WI, MN & IA, exhibits and displays, railroadiana, railroad art, door prizes and hobby dealers.

Dates/Times:
Saturday, March 20th, 2010
10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday, March 21st, 2010
10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Admission:
$5 for adults. $4.50 for adults when a non-perishable food item is donated. Children under 11 are FREE when accompanied by an adult.

Location:
La Crosse Center
300 Harborview Plaza
Second and Pearl Streets
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Free parking, Wheelchair Accessible.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lacrosse+center,+lacrosse,+wi&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=12&ll=43.888615,-91.240768&spn=0.174931,0.32135&om=1&iwloc=A

More info:
http://lax3riversmodelrrclub.com/Show%20Dates.htm

Hope to see you there!

--
Bill Toenjes
(TooMuchDew)

http://www.gmltc.org/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/gmltc/
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=183883107508

Subject:
GMLTC to display at La Crosse & Three Rivers Model Railroad Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn, lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:18:46 GMT

The Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club will be showing this weekend at the
La Crosse & Three Rivers Railroad Club 27th Annual Model Railroad Show.
Come see the GMLTC’s 18’x30’ ever-expanding modular all-LEGO town & train layout.
Club member Judy Payne will also have a layout featuring LEGO battery trains and Duplo trains.

Also see John and Ross Neal’s Twin Cities LEGO Train Club (TCLTC) layout.
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/org/tcltc/
As always, guests are invited to bring along their own LEGO rolling stock to run on our layout.
There will be many other (non-Lego) operating train layouts from all over WI, MN & IA,
exhibits and displays, railroadiana, railroad art, door prizes and hobby dealers.

Dates/Times:
Saturday, March 8th, 2008
10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday, March 9th, 2008
10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Admission:
$5 for adults. $4.50 for adults when a non-perishable food item is donated.
Children under 11 are FREE when accompanied by an adult.

Location:
La Crosse Center
300 Harborview Plaza
Second and Pearl Streets
La Crosse, Wisconsin

Free parking, Wheelchair Accessible.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lacrosse+center,+lacrosse,+wi&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=12&ll=43.888615,-91.240768&spn=0.174931,0.32135&om=1&iwloc=A

More info:
http://www.trains.com/trc/community/events/event-info.asp?eventid=11335

Hope to see you there!
--
Bill Toenjes
(TooMuchDew)

Subject:
Vignette MOC of My Cubicle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.vignette, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp, lugnet.loc.us.wi, lugnet.org.us.tclug
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:46:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey everyone!

I was bored last night and decided I needed some LEGO at my desk at work.  I
whipped up this 12x12 vignette of my cubicle complete with me in minifig form.
You can check out the MOCPage and Brickshelf Gallery with the links below.  Any
comments are appreciated!  :-)

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=262076 Brickshelf Gallery>
<http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/32487 MOCPage>

-Dave

<http://photos.smsrallysport.com/ Dave & Stacy's Photo Page>
<http://blog.smsrallysport.com/ Dave & Stacy's Journal>

Subject:
G.M.L.T.C. to display at La Crosse & Three Rivers Model Railroad Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn, lugnet.loc.us.wi
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:44:11 GMT

The Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club will be showing this weekend at the
La Crosse & Three Rivers Railroad Club 26th Annual Model Railroad Show.

Come see the GMLTC’s 18’x30’ ever-expanding modular all-LEGO town & train layout.
Club member Judy Payne will also have x 15’x15 ’ layout featuring LEGO battery trains and Duplo trains.

Also see John and Ross Neal’s Twin Cities LEGO Train Club (TCLTC) layout.
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/org/tcltc/

As always, guests are invited to bring along their own LEGO rolling stock to run on our layout.
There will be many other (non-Lego) operating train layouts, exhibits and displays,
railroadiana, railroad art, door prizes and hobby dealers.

Dates/Times:
Saturday, March 17th, 2007
10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sunday, March 18th, 2007
10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Admission:
$5 for adults. $4.50 for adults when a non-perishable food item is donated.
Children under 12 are free when accompanied by an adult.

Location:
La Crosse Center
300 Harborview Plaza
Second and Pearl Streets