 Local / United States / Delaware / *24 (-20)
Subject:
LEGO events at Philcon 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.castle, lugnet.space, lugnet.org.us.delvalug, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.md, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:50:04 GMT

Philcon 2006, the 70th edition of the annual Philadelphia Area Conference of Science Fiction and Fantasy, will run this coming November; and for the third year, I’ll be conducting a set of LEGO-themed events. Here are some pics of the 2004 event and 2005.

There will definitely be an Open Build and a MOC display with pre- and at-con-built SF-themed models, and maybe a Space-themed train layout. I might run a couple of QuikWars games, or arrange a screening of SF/F-topic brikfilms. There may be slideshows and building technique workshops.

How can you help?
  • Do you want to come and present on a topic such as Bionicle, Castles, Mecha, Micro, Moonbase or Space?
  • Want to contribute images and anecdots for such a slideshow, run by someone else?
  • Itching to run a game of BrickQuest, BrikWars, or QuikWars?
  • Got a fancy new Mindstorms NXT bot to demo?
  • Have a MOC you can send by mail?
  • Have MOC plans you can send by e-mail, that I’ll recreate locally and display under your name?
  • Got a brikfilm you’d like to screen?
Why should you help?
  • To show off your building prowess to an audience outside AFOLdom: over a thousand people from DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, and VA.
  • To expand the awareness of advanced LEGO building, and AFOLdom.
  • Because you need another collaborative LEGO fix two-and-a-half months after BrickFest.
If you’re interested, please contact me at kids2006@philcon.org for details and planning. Thank you. (Philcon is a copyright of the Philadelphia Science Fiction Society. Philcon 2006 runs the weekend of 17-19 November 2006 at the Sheraton Center City, located near City Hall. LEGO activities at Philcon are considered a sub-track of the Children’s Program only for organizational purposes. This message has been cross-posted because... well, there are lots of reasons you might logically be interested.)

Re: Delaware LTC interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.de
Date:
Sun, 29 May 2005 20:50:54 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.de, Robert Fries wrote:
This is just a quick message to see if there's any interest in starting a Lego®
Train Club in Delaware.

If there are other AFOL's in the Delaware area, reply to this thread and we can
discuss ideas and details ...

Thanks,

Robert

hello

a train club in delaware sounds cool

clayton

Subject:
Delaware LTC interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:14:04 GMT

This is just a quick message to see if there's any interest in starting a Lego®
Train Club in Delaware.

If there are other AFOL's in the Delaware area, reply to this thread and we can
discuss ideas and details ...

Thanks,

Robert

Subject:
LEGO Cable-Stayed Bridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.town, lugnet.loc.us.pa.phi.har, lugnet.loc.us.fl.tam, lugnet.loc.us.va.ric, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.fl.tam
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:40:15 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello,

Here is a link to pics of the 30,000 piece cable-stayed bridge I built 7
years ago after the suspenson bridge.

The first two pics show as it appeared in my basement.

The remaining three pics show how it appeared in the front window of the
Lancaster Zany Brainy.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4102992&a=30632783&pw=

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.  I had attempted twice to
post this message with more detail info about the bridge, but failed to
successfully post.

Enjoy

Subject:
Meet on 24 August, 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:40:39 GMT

Howdy!

GardenSLUG will be meeting on Saturday, 24 August, at around 2:00 PM in
Hillsborough, NJ -- and you're invited.  We'll be building, playing,
trading, sharing ideas, and generally having a good time.  If you're
interested, let us know.

Depending on the interest of the participants, we could (in my guesstimate of
probability):

- free-build
- show off MOCs
- eat, drink, and be merry
- buy/sell/trade bricks
- play building "games"
- discuss the future
- run trains
- assemble a moon base
- play BrikWars

or

- anything else

If someone were interested in visiting from any of the neighboring LUGs, that
would be tres cool.  We'd love to hear what y'all do at your meetings.  Or even
just from the outlying areas -- we'd like to get to know you.

FUT .gardenslug

Chris

Subject:
GardenSLUG meeting, second half of august, you're invited!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:07:05 GMT

Hi all,

We are planning a meeting on the 17th or 24th of August in central New Jersey.
It would be great to have you.  If you've been interested in attending, you
attended once, or even if you've never heard of us, we'd like to get to know
you and see your MOCs.  We are still planning the exact date so if you have a
preference, weigh in and be counted!  If you have ideas for activities at the
meet, we can discuss those too.

If you are interested in attending a GardenSLUG meeting on either the 17th or
the 24th, please respond to this with your names below.  If someone else has
responded already, respond to their responses and maybe we can get a list
together.  We have a list going on the GardenSLUG mailing list also, so at some
point I'll combine them.

could meet on 17 August:

Chris Weeks

could meet on 24 August:

Chris Weeks

Subject:
Gardenslug mailing list
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:47:05 GMT

The private mailing list for Gardenslug can be accessed using this web form.
The list is used mainly to arrange meeting times.

By the way, I've learned that the digest mode is broken. It is supposed to
be daily or when messages reach 30kb. Apparently it is only sent when
messages reach 30kb as the digest Larry got included a Mar 1 message. (The
list is GNU Mailman 2.0 as implemented by Pairlist.net.)

-Erik

Subject:
GardenSLUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:57:48 GMT

Hi again everyone,

I'm just wanting to remind everyone near (and some not that close -- I know NY
and PA stretch far to the west) that GardenSLUG exists centered on New Jersey,
but not in any way limited to the Garden State.  We'll be meeting in the next
couple of months some time and I want to invite everyone who can make it.  If
you're in another LUG or related club, you're still welcome to come meet, show
your work, and play with us.

Feel free to post in response to this or to email me directly and hopefully we
could meet in person.  I look forward to it.

Chris

Subject:
GardenSLUG meeting tomorrow!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.de
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:15:39 GMT

Hi all,

This is just a reminder that the Garden State LEGO Users Group will be meeting
tomorrow.  If you're attending and have not previously announced your
intent, you need to do so ASAP.

I expect to have a fun time and look forward to seeing those who make it.  If
you're interested in GardenSLUG events in the future, let us know and we'll
make sure that you're included.

Chris

Subject:
GardenSLUG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.pa
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:52:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi everyone,

We have a young LEGO User's Group centered on the New Jersey area, with members
out of PA and NY so far.  You may remember the announcements from last summer
when we were forming.  We're planning a meeting for early 2001 and I wanted to
take this chance to invite a wider audience of participation.

If you're willing to drive to the area roughly around Philly and New York City
for a several hour meeting, we would be glad to have you.  We bring our
creations, set up trains, build from a common pile, talk about deals and sales,
trade parts, order pizza, and have fun.  And we could do anything else too, if
you thougt of something else.

I've set the followup to lugnet.org.us.gardenslug so as not to clutter your
state newsgroups, but you might want to check us out and add to the fun.

Chris

Subject:
Get on the Gardenslug Announcements mail list!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 03:25:12 GMT

Attention Gardenslug Members and Interested Persons in NJ, NYC/NY, PA, DE,
wherever:

In case you didn't know about it, there is a mail list for announcements and
planning Gardenslug meetings.

Use this web page to get on the list:

It's run on pair, the same place that Lugnet uses, and I've prepaid it for a
year.

When you sign on please send out a short message telling your name and where you
are, that sort of thing.

-Erik

Re: First meeting of our new LUG. (was: Re: Is there interest in a new LUG?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 17:52:32 GMT

Hey Ed, I never heard from you after I sent email.

Anybody reading this on Saturday afternoon could figure I'm not going to be
there *early*, in fact I'm just about to brave the traffic now.

In lugnet.loc.us.nj, Ed Jones writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.nj, Erik Olson writes:
I'm definitely driving over. Anybody need a ride from Long Island (or Staten
Island, must pass over it)?

Hey Erik, that would be me (Staten Island).  Send me your phone number in an
e:Mail.

Re: First meeting of our new LUG. (was: Re: Is there interest in a new LUG?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 02:54:08 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.nj, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
OK everyone, we are go for Saturday.  This Saturday, 22 July, 2000 at 3:00 • EST!

I decided that posting directions here would be easier than emailing, but do

If anything comes up and you need attention, call me at 908.359.2956

Chris

Re: First meeting of our new LUG. (was: Re: Is there interest in a new LUG?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:08:16 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
OK everyone, we are go for Saturday.  This Saturday, 22 July, 2000 at 3:00 • EST!

I'd love to be there, but obviously public transportation isn't an option.

Anyone driving through Manhattan or Staten Island that would be willing to • give
me a ride?

I think you'll end up with a better deal riding with Erik, but for what it's
worth, the nearest train station is only 20ish minutes away, and might also be
on the way for people to stop and retrieve you.  (But you have to change trains
on the NJ side)

Chris

Re: First meeting of our new LUG. (was: Re: Is there interest in a new LUG?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:58:13 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.nj, Erik Olson writes:
I'm definitely driving over. Anybody need a ride from Long Island (or Staten
Island, must pass over it)?

Hey Erik, that would be me (Staten Island).  Send me your phone number in an
e:Mail.

Re: First meeting of our new LUG. (was: Re: Is there interest in a new LUG?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:55:20 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
OK everyone, we are go for Saturday.  This Saturday, 22 July, 2000 at 3:00 • EST!

I'd love to be there, but obviously public transportation isn't an option.

Anyone driving through Manhattan or Staten Island that would be willing to give
me a ride?

Re: First meeting of our new LUG. (was: Re: Is there interest in a new LUG?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:56:38 GMT

I'm definitely driving over. Anybody need a ride from Long Island (or Staten
Island, must pass over it)?

Lego activities: so, it is Cbris' pile of Lego we are to play with? Goody...

I will pick a new MOC to bring along.

Maybe also a small bag of trade fodder - I discussed a simple trade with one
person.

Here's another idea: we always want to see new sets, right? If anybody has an
especially new release they could give a review. For example, Dinos.

Still, MOCs would show more independence.

FOOD: how about frozen pizzas?

Re: First meeting of our new LUG. (was: Re: Is there interest in a new LUG?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:37:03 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.nj, Andy Lynch writes:
Hi Chris and everyone...
I'm planning on being there on Saturday.  I'm looking forward to it.

Great!  Anyone else?

1) Have a big assortment of LEGO out on a table or the floor and have • every one
build.  Build by theme?  Build something drawn out of a hat as in • charades?
Build freestyle?

This sounds great to me, it will give us a chance to get a feel for each
other, and talk in a relaxed atmosphere.

OK, we'll play in some way with a pile of LEGO!

2) Buy some (at clearance hopefully) amount of LEGO ahead of time equal to
~$5-10 per person in attendance, break the sets up, and we draft pieces to • go
home with us.  It's kind of like a parts auction with no premium or • markup.
There are a variety of ways that such a thing could be organized.

I would be willing to contribute to this.

I've had a negative response to this, so let's not for now, but maybe in the
future...

How would it be set up?  Do we
each bring a set or sets of the approximate values to break up at the
meeting, or would one person get it all for everybody ( with reimbursement
coming back from the attendees)?

I figured one person would buy and bring it all, and we would each pay at the
gate.

I hate putting all that  responsibility on
just one person, but don't really feel qualified to take this on myself
right now...

I don't think it would be any biggie, I could do it.  If nothing else, just
figure out the amount we want ot spend and buy whatever is at half-off at shop
at home that week.

3) Everyone bring a MOC to show and tell.

I'll bring one or two...

OK, this is the most positively received so far, so anyone else who's coming,
if you can bring someghing of your own, please do.

5) Bring donations to start a Jambalaya that we would name after the club
(whatever that ends up being called) and send out.

I'm still new to trading ( hard for me to know worth many certain pieces)
and I have never been envolved in a Jambalaya box, but I could be convinced
to try...

This would be better once we have a real club going.  It can wait.

Depending on how things go, I would vote for a dinner.  I would suggest
eating in, could be something as simple as pizza, especially if there is a
place that will deliver.

Pizza is great, but the only place that delivers way out here is really
insipid.

Eating in would minimixe the length of time spent
in moving the group from place to place.

Agreed.  I just didn't know how much that would matter.

Of course, it is not my house, so
your comfort is more important, if you would prefer we go out, that would be
perfectly acceptable.

Either is fine.  But I won't have time to cook anything, that's why I called
drinks.

Snacks would also be great, and I could bring some of
these, but suggestions would be in order, as most that come to mind leave
fingers greasy, and I like clean Lego.  I can also bring a couple of bottles
of soda, if that would help.

Don't worry about soda, unless you have some really obscure preference.  I'll
cover the main bases and then some.  We have a 75% chance of a cake arriving
too. ;-)  I can't think of anything non-greasy either...just bring a roll of
paper towels too.

I can't wait! :-)

Good.  I'm psyched too, but I am still hoping to hear from more of you readers
out there...

Chris

Re: First meeting of our new LUG. (was: Re: Is there interest in a new LUG?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:32:21 GMT

Hi Chris and everyone...
I'm planning on being there on Saturday.  I'm looking forward to it.

I thought of a few possible semi-organized things to do, and would • appreciate
feedback:

1) Have a big assortment of LEGO out on a table or the floor and have • every one
build.  Build by theme?  Build something drawn out of a hat as in • charades?
Build freestyle?

This sounds great to me, it will give us a chance to get a feel for each
other, and talk in a relaxed atmosphere.

2) Buy some (at clearance hopefully) amount of LEGO ahead of time equal to
~$5-10 per person in attendance, break the sets up, and we draft pieces to • go
home with us.  It's kind of like a parts auction with no premium or • markup.
There are a variety of ways that such a thing could be organized.

I would be willing to contribute to this.  How would it be set up?  Do we
each bring a set or sets of the approximate values to break up at the
meeting, or would one person get it all for everybody ( with reimbursement
coming back from the attendees)?  I hate putting all that  responsibility on
just one person, but don't really feel qualified to take this on myself
right now...

3) Everyone bring a MOC to show and tell.

I'll bring one or two...

4) Bring trade fodder?

5) Bring donations to start a Jambalaya that we would name after the club
(whatever that ends up being called) and send out.

I'm still new to trading ( hard for me to know worth many certain pieces)
and I have never been envolved in a Jambalaya box, but I could be convinced
to try...

6) your suggestions..?

If you think any of these has merit, please speak up quickly and we'll
formalize whatever prep needs to take place.

One person volunteered to bring foodstuff.  Anyone else?  I'll arrange to • have
beverages of copious variety available and I'll try to buy a bag or two of • ice.
For what length of time are we meeting?  Should we arrange a dinner, and • should
it be out or in?  Or should we just bring snacks and pass on a real
dinner?

Depending on how things go, I would vote for a dinner.  I would suggest
eating in, could be something as simple as pizza, especially if there is a
place that will deliver.  Eating in would minimixe the length of time spent
in moving the group from place to place.  Of course, it is not my house, so
your comfort is more important, if you would prefer we go out, that would be
perfectly acceptable.  Snacks would also be great, and I could bring some of
these, but suggestions would be in order, as most that come to mind leave
fingers greasy, and I like clean Lego.  I can also bring a couple of bottles
of soda, if that would help.

I can't wait! :-)

-Andy Lynch

Subject:
First meeting of our new LUG. (was: Re: Is there interest in a new LUG?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.pa, lugnet.loc.us.de, lugnet.loc.us.ny, lugnet.loc.us.ct
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:18:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

OK everyone, we are go for Saturday.  This Saturday, 22 July, 2000 at 3:00 EST!

I decided that posting directions here would be easier than emailing, but do
please let me know if you will be in attendance.  The directions are at the
bottom of this note.

[...]

What else?

I'm going to email (in a few minutes) everyone who's responded to the thread
pointing to this note in case they're interested.

So that everyone knows, my house is non-smoking, but we have cats.  I will run
both a large HEPA filter all week and our HEPA vaccuum thoroughly in the main
LEGO room.  We are likely to spill over into other bits of the house, but this
approach has been pretty successful at making our place tolerable for victims
of pet-dander allergy.  You might also want to dose up on alergy meds if it's
an issue for you.

Directions:

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=8050 is an overview
map that includes part of both Philly and NYC.  There is a
pointer to my address, so that should relate my location to the
cities.  From NYC you want to get onto I-78/I-287 and from Philly
you want to get on I-95.

At http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=8051 you can see a
slightly more close up view that only shows the local interstates
and more local highway detail.

Closer yet is http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=8054
which shows my relation to federal highways 1, 202, 206 and state
route 31.

If you're coming from the north, you'll come down 206.  From the
south, you'll come up 31, so
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=8053 shows these two
highways in relation to my place.

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=8052 basically shows
my extended neighborhood.

Directions from NYC area:

*1* get on I-78 West
*2* after ~37 miles take exit 30 onto I-287 south
*3* get off at US 202/206 south
*4* go around the Somerville circle skipping the 202 branch and
taking the second one which is the 206 branch, continuing south
*5* a few miles south, turn right on Amwell and head west
*6* after a few miles, you'll come to a three way stop in a
quaint little town called Neshanic.  Continue straight(a bit
left) through the stop on Amwell
*7* at the fourth left, you should turn on Montgomery
*8* my house is about four miles up on the left.

Note that you will be driving on dirt/gravel for a short (~200
meters) section of this trip.

Directions from South Jersey and Philadelphia:

*1* get on I-95 or I-295 north (same hwy changes number at US1)
*2* from I-95, take the northbound exit on SR 31
*3* about 5 miles up, there will be a road that veers off to the
right and a sign that points that way indicating the town of
Hopewell in that direction that you should follow -- that street
is called (in order) Marshall's Corner (or something similar),
Hopewell-Pennington, and W. Broad.  There is a street merger
while you are on broad and you are also on county 518.
*4* as you leave Hopewell and the speed limit increases you'll
cross a creek and come to an intersection.  On the right the
street is called Aunt Molly and on the left it is Hopewell-Amwell
- turn left
*5* Hopewell-Amwell heads up into the hills and bends right -
turn left at the stop sign onto Amwell
*6* go down and then up a longish hill and after you crest the
hill and start down, there is a sharp right turn and I think the
street sign says Zion - turn right
*7* continue past Springhill on your right and then take the left
turn at Montgomery
*8* my house is up, maybe a mile, on the right.

Finding my House and Parking:

We have significant frontage and there is a dilapidated six-foot
fence along 2/3 of it.  The address, 735, is posted on our two
gates.  To the immediate north of the house is a driveway that
can possible accommodate four automobiles.  At least one of my
two will be there.  (As of the time of this writing, we still
have Missouri plates, so that may prove to be another landmark.)
To the south of our house, ~100 meters, is a semi-circle driveway
and two parking spots that should accommodate at least eight cars
if we pack in so that you can't get out without having other
people move.  So I think we should be able to handle parking.

If you park in the near driveway, come through the wood gate and
knock if I don't greet you outside.  If you park in the circle,
come through our metal gate and walk through the yard (rather
than down the street to the other drive) and come up on the
deck.  The doors from the deck lead into the LEGO and game room,
so that should be fine.

If you need any clarification, let me know.

Chris

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact