 Local / United Kingdom / 2210

Subject:
Exclusionary Themes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 06:54:53 GMT

Can we go back to being a happy little stress-free group? The American rivalry
started off cutely, but in reality it is a very real form of prejudice, and
therefore not very cute at all.

The problem being that with any form of group mentality more and more people
start taking it seriously, which has an interesting feedback effect. See
Dawkins for a more in-depth discussion of memes and why prejudicial ideas in
particular flourish.

It's just hit a bit of a raw nerve, thats all.

Richard

Re: Exclusionary Themes
Can we go back to being a happy little stress-free group? The American rivalry
started off cutely, but in reality it is a very real form of prejudice, and
therefore not very cute at all.

*Everybody* is prejudiced about something. The trick is to know you are.

But I agree. There's been a bit too much negativity washing about here
recently.

The problem being that with any form of group mentality more and more people
start taking it seriously, which has an interesting feedback effect. See
Dawkins for a more in-depth discussion of memes and why prejudicial ideas in
particular flourish.

Careful, Richard. You're beginning to sound a bit priggish.

It's just hit a bit of a raw nerve, thats all.

We've all got *them* as well.

The quote I keep on coming back to is Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks:

"Why can't we all just - get along?"

Although I don't think any anti-American sentiment would last long here
:-)
--
Tony Priestman

Re: Exclusionary Themes
In lugnet.loc.uk, Tony Priestman writes:

The problem being that with any form of group mentality more and more people
start taking it seriously, which has an interesting feedback effect. See
Dawkins for a more in-depth discussion of memes and why prejudicial ideas in
particular flourish.

Careful, Richard. You're beginning to sound a bit priggish.

Yeah, I do have a disturbing self-righteous streak sometimes ;) If it hadn't
been so late I might have phrased it differently - sorry if the way I said it
got up anyones nose!

Richard

Re: Exclusionary Themes