 Local / Portugal / 70
Re: Good (!) editorial from Canada PLEASE READ (done)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:59:20 GMT

In lugnet.loc.pt, A. Mark Wilburn writes:
In lugnet.loc.pt, Pedro Silva writes:
There is a catch, though: The earthquake. It was 5 years after the writer's
passing out (out/away/?)...

Surely you realize that San Francisco has had earthquakes before 1989? Also,
technically the 1989 quake wasn't centered in San Francisco, but in Loma
Prieta, certainly close enough to be felt.

http://wwwneic.cr.usgs.gov/neis/eqlists/large_usa.html

He could have been referring to the 1906 quake, the largest recorded one
ever in San Francisco.

Sure, I realize that. And discarded that chance.
In 1906 WHO ON EARTH could have responded to tha SF earthquake with help (in
useful time, that is)??? If he was talking about that quake, he is far more
innocent than I thought...
Besides, was he BORN by then?
And you are right, the quake was in Loma Prieta. But for the rest of the
world, not really caring about the exact epicentre, it took the name of "The
1989 San Francisco Earthquake", at least for the general public. Maybe
because it was the largest city to be struck by it?
(Obviously I am not taking into account all minor quakes that happened
in-between... at least none is of general knowledge)

I'd speculate, as was said before, that this article was written in the
seventies (even before the end of Vietnam war), and later adapted, including
more references to more recent times - hence, the reference to the 1989 quake.

Pedro