 Local / Portugal / 1641
Re: First Lego Sales In Portugal in 1957?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 20:57:17 GMT

Hello,

Sorry for my bad English.

The boxs I have, I don't know the date of them, but i think that they are
from the last years of 50. I have the set's number 210, 211, 212, 222, 227
and 230. All of the box have "Lego System" in the box. They don't have any
word in Portuguese.

Best Regards
Nuno Lino

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerhard Istok" <istokg@earthlink.net>
To: <lugnet.loc.pt@lugnet.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 7:53 PM
Subject: First Lego Sales In Portugal in 1957?

Hello Portuguese AFOLs!

I have a question for you folks in Portugal.....

According to TLG, the first sales of Lego to Portugal was in 1957.  (Also
the
first years for Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands and Belgium.)  From
1955-58
TLG made Lego sets in the local language of the country where they were
sold.
Starting in 1958, TLG changed to the International "LEGO System" for all
countries, so that they would not have to produce different boxes for each
country.

Has anyone in Portugal ever seen a Lego set with "Lego Bricks" and "Lego
System
of Play" in Portuguese?  The most common sets would be the small spare parts
packs within the #210-#271 set number range.

Here are 2 examples of 1955-58 spare parts packs in German, used in Germany
and
Austria (from Steve Scott's excellent webpage):

www.misbi.com/vintage/boxes/1950%27s/1956-German2.jpg

www.misbi.com/vintage/boxes/1950%27s/1956-German1.jpg

An example of a 1955-58 spare parts pack in Danish:

www.misbi.com/vintage/boxes/1950%27s/1956-mursten-type1.jpg

Or, perhaps the very first Portuguese parts pack boxes were of this type:

www.misbi.com/vintage/boxes/1950%27s/girls,%20ribbon,%20bowtieboy.jpg

Portuguese language sets of 1957-58 are not known to other western European
Lego
collectors.  It may be possible that the first Lego sets in Portugal were
the
very first sets with the "Lego System" (the last one).  But I wanted to
check to
see if any of our Portuguese AFOLs hav ever seen one.

Thank you,

Gary Istok