 Local / Portugal / 1639
1638  |  1640
Subject:
First Lego Sales In Portugal in 1957?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 18:53:39 GMT

Hello Portuguese AFOLs!

I have a question for you folks in Portugal.....

According to TLG, the first sales of Lego to Portugal was in 1957.  (Also the
first years for Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands and Belgium.)  From 1955-58
TLG made Lego sets in the local language of the country where they were sold.
Starting in 1958, TLG changed to the International "LEGO System" for all
countries, so that they would not have to produce different boxes for each
country.

Has anyone in Portugal ever seen a Lego set with "Lego Bricks" and "Lego System
of Play" in Portuguese?  The most common sets would be the small spare parts
packs within the #210-#271 set number range.

Here are 2 examples of 1955-58 spare parts packs in German, used in Germany and
Austria (from Steve Scott's excellent webpage):

www.misbi.com/vintage/boxes/1950%27s/1956-German2.jpg

www.misbi.com/vintage/boxes/1950%27s/1956-German1.jpg

An example of a 1955-58 spare parts pack in Danish:

www.misbi.com/vintage/boxes/1950%27s/1956-mursten-type1.jpg

Or, perhaps the very first Portuguese parts pack boxes were of this type:

www.misbi.com/vintage/boxes/1950%27s/girls,%20ribbon,%20bowtieboy.jpg

Portuguese language sets of 1957-58 are not known to other western European Lego
collectors.  It may be possible that the first Lego sets in Portugal were the
very first sets with the "Lego System" (the last one).  But I wanted to check to
see if any of our Portuguese AFOLs hav ever seen one.

Thank you,

Gary Istok